Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingwright

Epoxy Back Flies

I have been trying to tie some epoxy back flies without much luck. I'm not getting a smooth application, the result is less than desirable. Any advice for application? What is your favorite kind of epoxy? :dunno: :dunno:

One or two small drops of 5 minute epoxy is all it takes.

IPB Image

www.charliesflyboxinc.com for more patterns

Good Day,

First of all, nice photo flytire... straight to the illustrative point!

I rarely use epoxy any more for this type of application as it can be a pain in the butt. However, if I do use it I tend to lean towrd the slow drying epoxy as I have less waste due to having the extra time to use all that I have mixed. And it helps to have a rotating dryer as well. BTW, I usually use nail polish or a water based product like soft body by anglers choice.

Steelie

Has anyone tried the Loc-Tite epoxy? I have had all kinds of luck with the super glue and am cutious about the epoxy.

Mike

Use the slower drying epoxy ( I personally use the 2 hour), it gives you much more time to apply it. A fly drying wheel also helps and allows you to epoxy many flies at once. They can be made from an old BBQ Rotesserie motor for next than nothing.

One of the most common mistakes made with epoxy is trying to add too much at one time. Applying it in two and sometimes three light coats will make for a better finish. Small amounts is the key.

Use something like a dubbing needle to apply your epoxy, mix just enough for a coat, let the fly dry completely before applying another coat and you should notice a big difference in your outcome.

Anymore, I use Loon UV Wader Patch for my epoxy flies. It looks and functions just like epoxy, but the difference is you control when it hardens and no drying wheel is needed. A couple seconds of UV Light (provided by natural sunlight or a handy UV flashlight) and it is hard and ready to fish.

Rusty