Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TBlue

Winter Steelhead flies

I have thought about going steelhead fishing once again for the first time in about 10 years. So i'm looking for advise on flies.

I started researching for flies and found the Green Butt Skunk, I have already tied a hand full. I found on some sites that this is one of the best summer time flies, so does this fly work just as well for the winter run as the summer run or do you all recommend a different pattern? :dunno: I know there is a million patterns out there but is there a few that really stand out for the winter???

Thanks, Todd

A steelhead fisherman I know recomends Paint Brush, Polar Shrimp, and Silver comets. He's big into steelhead and says a lot of flies cross over from summer to winter.

Good Luck!!

I like the lazer egg fly tyer guy. (actually they are all nice)

I like sparse marabou speys and bunny sprips and real little/ real bright caddis nymphs. But the again i never catch any :hyst: So mabey listen to some of the more experianced steelheaders.

Good luck the winter

Im no steelhead fisherman by no means, but I have been told that some bass flies work well on steelhead :dunno:

Dustin.

Remember, he's fishing westcoast steelhead. We normally will use bigger flies, usually a bit colorful and not as many egg patterns (though they can be effective).

Do believe the green butt skunk was a winter pattern, and YES it works quite well. As mentioned above, paint brush, polar shrimp (one of my favorites), skykomish sunrise, purple peril all work great (all standard steelhead flies).

Marabou patterns work well, as well as leech patterns (bunny leeches are high on my list as well, why I'm named the lord of the bunnies LOL).

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll tie up the Polar Shrimp and try the laser egg. Cant find a tutorial for the laser egg so I'll just wing it.

Any other recommendations for Northwest Steelhead flies are welcome. :thumbsup:

Well as you know there are thousands of steelhead patterns. All the above suggestions are a sure bet. Personally I like to carry bright patterns Polar shrimp, thors, comets(many colors) and some darker patterns skunks purple perils. I also carry speys dees marabou patterns.......... I think you get the picture. I like to carry a variety and use flies according to the rivers and conditions I am fishing in. I think the single most important thing though is with whatever fly you use have confidence in it and fish it as well as you can, if there was one fly that steelhead couldnt refuse then we would all be fishing it! Tie a variety and have some fun, sometimes the best fly to use is a nice one that you tied and are happy with, your confidence is already up. Tie the classics, they work and make a few up you never know! Good luck.

Since no one has mentioned stoneflies, I'll note that I fished the Salmon River a couple weeks ago. 'Caught 20+ steelies a day--the only thing they'd attack was a stonefly. Egg patterns, streamers got no action. So we kept throwing in weighted stoneflies with a # 6 shot about 5' up the tippet.

At the end of winter 2006 I was at Ganaraska river near Port Hope /Ontario, the only guy who can get steelhead had a brown stonefly on is noodle rod.

He only got six steelhead in front of us... :blink:

And me just a little hook with a purple peril

Robert