Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Tips re: Larger Dry Patterns For Smallmouth

I have no problem with nymphs, streamers. poppers etc which I have fished for decades, But I'd like to have a few larger size 6-8 dries to try out on the Little Brown Bass. I'd especially like durable, high floating patterns that I could skate for active bass. Not much attracted to foam patterns myself. Hoppers and Stimulators are the chief types I'm focusing on now, but other good stone flies and Hex patternsalso would serve well on the waters I fish.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rocco

Rocco, how about some deer hair muddlers fished dry. If you pack the heads tight and grease them up they make great drys that will skate well. To ensure a better float you can tie them on a large dry fly hook rather than the recommended streamer hooks. Another good one is the deer hair bomber. A bit tedious to spin and shape but a great durable floater!! I've had good success with both.

I agree with Chuck, it would be hard to beat deerhair patterns. I too have used some of the Salmon & Steelhead patterns, such as Bombers, Waller's Wakers & Skaters. They all work great on SM bass. Otherwise, my preference has been for the big foam patterns. Much more durable & float longer.

Many years ago, I used patterns like the Sofa Pillow,dry fly style, or big Humpies & Wulff's. Not the most durable, but they work.

All these being tied in sizes from 8 & larger.

100_4276-Copy.jpg

100_4274-Copy-Copy.jpg

100_4255.jpg

You could tie a devil bug large. Wooly worm comes to mind as well with a bunch of hackle up front to push water or sin some deer hair. Chernobyl Ant too?