Fly Tying
vicrider

Marching into this month's swap

Okay, let's get the ball rolling on some nice soft hackles for this month. I'm a believer in them for trout and panfish when they're near the surface but not hitting things on top. There's always lots of options but last years trip to White River proved by switching around that stockers could be caught on anything but soft hackles were about the most productive. The Red Ass Kelso is a standard there and it proved itself to worthy of that recognition.

Vicrider.................ready

1. Add147..............arrived

2. Joseph Russell...arrived

3. Jolly Red............arrived

4. trez.....................arrived

5. Crackleback.......arrived

6. Michael Ray.......arrived

7 .Breambuster.....arrived

8. djtrout................arrived

9. Bassbugn..........arrived

10. border collies..arrived

11. kennebec12....arrived

12. Bambudday.....arrived

Well, a few have started rolling in and they look good. Border Collies and I were on the same wave length on ours. If they flash at his but don'e take go a little smaller with mine and it might turn the trick. His look really good. Trez has great looking wire weave beaded softies to take us a little deeper or be the first in a pair. Kennebec12 has a great wire wrapped softie that's going to get eaten. And Joseph Russell has his usual quality and a soft hackle that is unusual in it's coloration and really looks good. If fish like that barred hackle as well as I do it should spend some time on your line. What did you use for hackle on that Joseph?

post-54906-0-34404400-1425353213_thumb.jpgI'd like in . This would be my first swap. If a noob doesnt bother you.

portlyjoe, I'd love to have ya' in but the problem is it's the monthly swap that's already full. It's always hard to make a full year for everyone so keep an eye out if I advertise that we need a new swapper. I already did that once and the spot was filled that same day. Keep an eye out for other swaps starting. This time of year they fill fast but later on when we can actually start using these flies the swaps slow down...but this board they never die.

Nick

I'm sorry Nick I didnt realize this was a monthly group. I thought it was an open swap. I will find a swap to join. thanks .

I'm a little more than halfway ... a soft hackle sulphur rendition; I suppose you could call it a solphie ...

Jolly Red, I know Starling is a popular soft hackle, and I have a skin and have used it, but I find it hard to work with. For me hen is easiest, then turkey, then partridge or grouse, and Starling as a last choice. If a plan calls for it I use it but not first choice ever. Look forward to yours since yours have always been a very nice tie. djtrout, I'm working on making some sulfurs for a guy who likes them on top on a 16 hook. Nice to see a soft hackle version. Any that come in early may just put to use in Arkansas this month if weather ever really straightens out, otherwise next month.

Since no one else has called it, I think I will tie what I guess would be called a Peacock and Pheasant. It will have a peacock herl body and a Hungarian Pheasant hackle. That's pretty basic, but it combines two very good materials, so it ought to be a pretty fair fishing fly.

BB

Tied up a soft hackle with a black thread body, chartreuse wire ribbing, and pheasant soft hackle. Selected the feathers with the green/purple/blue iridescence from the back of the pheasant between the wings. We're still in the big freeze but haven't had much snow lately so I have had plenty of time at the vise. Flies will go out today or Monday.

Edit: Flies went out today, should be there on Tuesday vicrider. Hope that's not too early for ya.

Ok.. I have a question...I have 4 whole pheasants that I managed to score off of a EBay find from retiring couple that was getting rid of their tying stuff. Anyway are pheasants considered a soft hackle?

add, almost every bird has soft hackle on it somewhere. I know there is on turkey, duck, and many other birds so would think you can track some down on a pheasant. I have some pheasant skins laying around somewhere and never looked them over for soft hackle but basically soft hackles are those webby, generally rounded, and soft (doh) featgers and if the shaft is soft enough to allow circular winding like a dry fly hackle it should work.

Hey kennebec12 I see that you used a soft hackle on your fly. I have several full pheasant skins. Where exactly did you get your soft hackle from off your bird?

post-53186-0-09724000-1425986224_thumb.jpg

The feathers in the red box as they change into the rump feathers below have a nice iridescence, and good soft stems. Peel off the fluff so you have just the nice webby patterned feathers, pinch the stem at he tip and pull back the fibers without breaking them, then tie in the tip of the feather and wrap it on. The feather will want to twist, just keep pulling back on the fibers as you wrap.