Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
despatiesim

Views on integrating synthetics to classic salmon patterns

Firstly, happy new year to you all! I hope 2015 will be good to you.

I was just curious as to what your views and oppinions are to integrating sytnthetic materials to traditional salmon fly patterns? From a strictly fish catching point of view. For example, inserting a few strands of crystal flash to a green butt bear hair wing, or a touch of flashabou here and there?

What has been your experience? What are your oppinions?

Cheers!

Simon

Plenty of salmon flies have flash introduced into the wing or tail or dubbing etc etc. Take a look at the flies Frodin ties as an example.

I think there is; well no, there definitely are occasions a salmon will refuse a fly that is too OTT. You won't find many Scottish anglers without a stoat tail and a hairymary/blue charm in their box. Flash on these would be sacrosanct.

Flies for peaty rivers however are really flashy for heavy flows and less and less flashy as the water clears. Often smaller sizes too as water clears. Just look at the Willie Gunn fly in all its various forms from black body, heavily black wing to gold body with heavy orange/red wing.

I do find it odd that salmon take spoons or lures where allowed, with all their vibration and flash but can be turned off by a 1/2 inch fly with a few strands of flashabou.

This is purely based on what I keep reading and hearing. Since Salmon swimming up a river aren't feeding, you aren't "enticing" them to eat your fly. But in that vein ... you might actually cause one to avoid your fly if it's too flashy. They might not be feeding, but they certainly are on a mission and anything perceived as a possible threat to that mission is to be avoided.

anything perceived as a possible threat to that mission is to be avoided.

Or taken out, ;) kinda like a bedding bass will strike a lure that is a threat to its eggs or fry. just a thought though...

Thanks guys for all your input. I guess when I get a chance, I'll tie up a few classic paterns with some added flash for those low visibility conditions you just can't predict, even on very clear water.

Simon