Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oneslammedpanel

whip finishing ?

hey guys,

I am just curious if anyone knows where there is a site with a step by step on how to use a whip finisher?....For as long as i have tied I have always used a pair of tweezers to under over my tie offs, I have a realy nice whip finisher but dont know how to use it.....Also what is the best head cement..i use wapsi brand right now and am NOT happy with it , its pretty much junk any suggestions?

Thanks

vic

Hey Vic,

You've asked a good question there. Whip finishing is something that I've never gotten the hang of, mostly because I don't have the patience, rather do a couple half hitches. But that's just me.

Here's a good animation showing the use of the tool.

http://www.tie1on.net/whipanim.htm

There are quite a few good animations out there and some with audio to help out with the instructions.

http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/whipfinishag.shtml

Here is another link that shows how to do it with your fingers!!

http://www.razortrout.com/fwhip.html

If you want to find more information, just go to www.google.com and type in Whip Finish and you'd be surprised how much information is out there!!

Good luck with your tying,

Best Regards,

Damian

I prefer the two finger whip or the one finger whip. It's really easy once you get the hang of it. OliverEdwards demonstrates them nicely in his DVD's Essential patterns.

Sjo

I use the whip finishing tool. I never got the hang of any other technique. Right now I am using Rumpf flex cement, I am happy with it for now.

hi i have tried using various whip finish tools over the years but always return to the best ---my fingers!!,i use veniards cellire varnish ,i thin it down to approx

80% varnish to 20% thinners ,this allows it to penetrate the thread raps and do its job ,if you want a glossy finish then use 2 coats

regards welshtyer

I was wondering what type of whip finnish tool do you have? I use the head cement from wallmart. Its garbage but I seem to get it to work fine. I was wondering what seems to be the problem with it?

I'm a cellire convert also. Was introduced to it by a New Brunswick fly tyer Bryant Freeman. I now swear by it. It really gives a nice glossy finish and it's quick penetrating. I wouldn't even consider using Pro Lak again. LOL! Thanks Bryant!

Check HERE for a couple videos on finishing your fly. They are shot from the tyers POV so it's easy to pick up.

I have never seen or tried cellire, but it certanly sounds like something I need. I've been looking for something that will give my display flies a nice shiney head. I had some hoof hardener that works pretty well but it's really toxic. Not for use indoors. cool.gif