Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Recent Poppers

I've gathered together a bunch of popper bodies, foam mostly, and finally got around to tying some of them. Gamakatsu & Owner hooks. The recent posts about poppers got me motivated. smile.png

100_5658_zpsc00tmtpg.jpg

100_5630_zpsuwbvxv5p.jpg

100_5629_zpss8fpphly.jpg

100_5631_zpsoakt6i2u.jpg

100_5625_zpsh1y3kczl.jpg

100_5624_zpszaruhzoh.jpg

100_5626_zpsqwra2bsw.jpg

100_5627_zpsrnwm2nlp.jpg

100_5628_zps6yrbza7x.jpg

100_5623_zpsajdztreg.jpg

100_5622_zpsqnzruipd.jpg

100_5620_zpsbvt0jce4.jpg

100_5619_zpsj7mbbxgg.jpg

Very nice set of poppers.

Nothing for scale except the thickness of the rubber legs. Are those tied on size 8 or 10 hooks? Or are they larger than that?

If those laminated ones are 2mm foam, I'm guessing size 6. Whatever they are, they're beauties.

As an aside ... Dollar Tree has packages of laminated 2mm foam shapes. All different colors of foam that would easily be punch out to make bodies like the ones above ... in size 8 or 10.

I got one of these from Walmart for $5.99 ... they have several assortments. I got the vivid colors (also comes in pastels). I got mine from the store. Online they have some different size packs, for more $$ of course

post-52210-0-53882300-1459047062_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! The hooks are size 2 & larger. Bass size poppers.

I didn't measure them, but would say about 3" to 3 1/2" in total length. The yellow one with the yellow grizzly tail is the largest, and may be a little longer than the rest. I think that one is on a 1/0 size hook. The rest are made on size 2 or 1 hooks.

I didn't make any of the bodies. Got them from various other sources, but mostly from Ebay sellers.

I bought a package of foam door hangers at a craft store, looking for 4mm thickness for some larger Gartside Gurglers. The foam is too hard to use for Gurglers, so I'll probably end up laminating two or three layers and punching out some 5-6mm popper bodies. The colours are useless, so I'll likely end up giving them a couple coats of white soft head anyway. I built a couple of Al's Wiggle Frogs out of disposable foam earplugs, cut on the bias. Worked okay. They would probably do alright as poppers too. Mine certainly wouldn't look as nice as those in the pics though.

There are many materials that can be used to make poppers, some much less costly than others. They all work, and the fish don't care how "nice" we make them. I've been doing this a long time, and I like making them look good, but the bottom line is the fish are going to eat them no matter how they look.

Scubohuntr, I make Gurglers too. They're good for bass, panfish in smaller sizes & salt species. sounds like what you plan will work fine. I have some harder foam cylinders too, and it's harder than I like for bass poppers, but should work fine for saltwater use. I've tried ear plugs too, and have punched bodies out of flip flops & other types of foam. Again, they all work. It just depends on how much effort a person is willing to put forth for making the bodies. I have a box of ear plugs, but they're really softer than I like. However, they would still work, just wouldn't be as durable as other foams.

IMO, all these various foams can have uses. Plus, there's other materials that make good poppers. I still use cork too. Nothing wrong with the sheet foams either. smile.png

these are sz 12 barbless .leather punch and hammer.quick easy and cheap.have caught 100s and 100s of bluegillspost-51169-0-83246800-1459631519_thumb.jpg