Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

A ten-buck LRH Lightweight

A couple of years ago at a Project Healing Waters auction for a club I'm a member, a LRH Lightweight Hardy came up for auction. The reason it was donated was because it had about an inch and a quarter of the rim broken off. I have an LRH and bought it for $10 because I figured I'd use the spool.

But a friend of mine, who is a welder, said he could weld in the missing part. So I left it in his hands. Which he did, with (I assume) a section of aluminum wire. You can see the weld directly to the left of the handle and it goes on for about an inch and a quarter or so.

Bottom line, I got a LRH Hardy (an early model) for ten bucks! I've posted this everywhere I'm so happy. It's a fully functional reel, and not the prettiest, but it works just as well as my other reels.

P1010118_zpsdxl8ch8h.jpg

Good deal!

You might want to consider donating some of what you might have paid for an intact reel back to PHW. (Just a thought)

I dislike explaining things, but here goes.

I belong to a group that gives PHW money each year. We get that money by auctioning off stuff and through donations which is where I bought the reel. I've donated a couple of rods and a vise to PHW and other fishing stuff. In fact, most members of our group have donated pretty generously and at one time we were the top non-commercial cash donators to PHW and may still be. We meet each year in VA to fish, where we hold the auction and also sell donated objects through Ebay. More through Ebay nowadays since we've all just about swapped stuff off until we're just about out of fishing stuff that the members haven't seen before.