Fly Tying
Joshpilon08

a bit of help please.

A good friend of mine has asked me to tie him some gigantic musky flies for a trip he has coming up. Does anyone have any recipes for musky flies they'd be willing to share? All he said was he wanted musky flies and left the rest up to me....his only request was he wanted black and white ones and perch colored ones. So anything and everything would help.thanks in advance.

Josh,

It's probably best to ask a couple of questions first:

1. What weight fly rod does he have?

2. Is his line sinking, sink tip, on floating?

3. Does he want single hook or articulated? (how long does he want his flies to be? 6-8" or 11-14")

4. Do you have saddle hackles in the requested colors?

5. How many flies does he want?

There are a number of outstanding tyers of muskie flies on this site and they will be willing to direct you to patterns.

Tom

I think he said he had an 8 wt rod. Not sure what he's running for line. He wants articulated flies between 11 and 14 inches. He may want a couple smaller ones. In NY 2 hooks is max on any fly. He wants between 20 and 25 flies. Large order for me. And I don't have much in terms if big fish stuff. And with saddle hackle I can get any color I want pretty easily, I have a fly shop 25 minutes down the road. I might copy a couple for my own future endeavours too.

Going to be hard to throw 11-14 inch flys with an 8wt, better use a lot of synthetics and flash to make them look big with less material.

Hey its his arm not mine..if he pays me for them swing away..lol. I think me mentioned something about swinging them with a spey rod

Josh,

Check the swap section for the 2016 & 2017 Musky Fly Swaps. Terrific examples you can customize for your colors. Also Google Supercharger fly. There are two parts to the videos. I'm going to tie some before the season starts.

Tom

post-35105-0-38482500-1493050459_thumb.jpg

Josh,

This is an Orange/Black using the techniques I described. I went Black,Orange,Black, and Orange. I would have looked markedly different had i reversed the colors. Sub in the white for the orange.

Tom

Tom.

Looks great. I'm going to give that a try here in a bit. I don't have bait fish emulator tho, and my local fly shop doesn't sell it, I thought about trying chockletts minnow body wrap, maybe. I'll try it and see if it has the same effect as the emulator.

Josh

Ok. So my buddy and I sat down one day after I got out of work and this is what we came up with. Has everything he wants on it. I just hope it works for him when he fishes it. Let me know what you all think.

post-57707-0-34602600-1496094582_thumb.jpg

Josh

Looks great!

Nice color palette

Great tail action with the saddle hackle

Nice flash

The head will push water

When you put your hand against the bottom of the fly, will it slide to the back of the hook? The hookability factor is very important as they are low incidence fish and missing a fish could mean you zero out for the week.

Terrific work and and you can match the prevailing bait with different color schemes.

Tom

That really looks amazing!Look at all the martial hat went into that!!!

Tom,

Yes, the material slides out of the way of the hook point nicely. And the hook is razor sharp...I know...I think I bled more tying this fly more than any other I've tied before. Really helped me to have my friend stop by my apartment and sit down and just tie. Gave me a really good understanding of what he wanted.

Josh

Zip,

Thank you. Definitely a lot of material went into it. Culmination of a lot of research and just general messing around on this one.

Josh