Fly Tying
Piker20

Chance to start tying room from scratch.

Going to be moving house in a few weeks and have a naked garage ready to be converted to my new man cave. Primary use will be for fly tying/rig building. It has a window currently which won't receive too much direct light. Has anyone got any top tips on lighting for the whole space and more specifically around the tying area?

Currently I'm thinking of LED strips inside the window box sides so not directly shining at me when sitting but providing some background brightness. Then the 3 or 5 LED spots overhead the desk. With some type of overhead light for the remaining 150+ sq ft of space.

I can post pictures of what NOT to do, and how it ends up looking if the Vaccumn Police are not allowed to enter without a search warrant.

Will let others ring in, hopefully soon. Only two pm in our time zone!

Definitely won't be any wives going in! I might partition off a section at the front for kids bikes, lawn mower etc and will reduce the amount of insulating I'll need. So long as I have 15ft to leave my spey rods rigged ready on the wall

Ok, I will post a silent movie in another thread with appropriate disclaimers and warnings. I may become a laughingstock of FTF but...

what the heck, probably already own that role.....

ps... Should not have made the promise, do not know if I am IT literate enough to work around all the pitfalls on this site... This could take awhile.... Carry On....

Recently in my garage/ shop I put up 4 11 inch fish mount led lights I have fairly decent nearly shadow free lighting, if you did the same and a couple small movers over your work space on a finney I imagine it would work out quite well.

Recently in my garage/ shop I put up 4 11 inch fish mount led lights I have fairly decent nearly shadow free lighting, if you did the same and a couple small movers over your work space on a finney I imagine it would work out quite well.

Tell us more, if anyone has TOO much lighting, please post the secret of your success. Pete Gray is only one (See Salt flies from Bench) who comes close, and he has MAD, Camera & Vice, er Vise, SKILLS, and possibly a budget to match.

When you say fish mount are you referring to the LED strip lights. In the UK fish mount isn't an immediately common label.

V can best explain what he is using. In the mean, here are some pictures that go to your original question of lighting. Please ignore horrifying background. You can see however, that with regular room lights, fairly clear pictures are made, without any special camera features or tricks.

First picture is one light fixture, second shows the furnace and hot water heater in the darkest corner in the room and third are the two fixtures that hang over my ergo chair and tying desk.

Fourth, to show the amount of light cast into the area where vise sits in an extender.

DSC01330.JPG

DSC01331.JPG

DSC01337.JPG

DSC01338.JPG

That's great. What size are the two lights over your tying area? That's the type of thing I'm looking at.

Piker, those are 4 foot, double florescent tubes. So, four tubes per casing. You do not need the casing, I did it that way in case we ever wanted to finish the room and hang a ceiling.

I don't need or want a ceiling but it might be better for re-sale of our house in the distant future.

I do not get much for shadows over the tying area and the desk lamp puts good light right on my hook, where I totally focus on the work.

Edited by Flat Rock native

I wouldn't tie by fluorescent lighting if I had a choice. Way too hard on the eyes for me. It is my least favorite lighting source...besides candlelight.

Florescent ceiling lighting is a good way to light up a room. Then, for your actual tying area, hang some LED room lights and then use your regular tying lights.

Good lighting is not a matter of A light, or even a COUPLE of lights. It's a targeted approach ... room/area/spot accumulative lighting.

I wouldn't tie by fluorescent lighting if I had a choice. Way too hard on the eyes for me. It is my least favorite lighting source...besides candlelight.

This is my built in excuse, for when my work looks bad as I put the Sally Hansen to it. Oh well, another one for MY fly boxes;) Always a Win-Win here....