Fly Tying
MTFlyJunkie

Bluegill pattern

Need a lot of help with a bluegill pattern for a swap this month! This is way outside of my wheelhouse as a trout fisherman. I know that they will eat the same sorts of flies but I also want to try something more species specific and challenge myself. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Make up some Boudreauxs (see pattern data base).

The other swappers will love you for it.

You probably have to look it up under CoachBob in the tyer selection box.

if you go to the database and search panfish you will get a ton of possibilities

that would be great if searching the database actually worked :(

id go with this one

bluegillbug-1.jpg

simple, easy and a killer pattern for panfish

^^^ i did find a way to 'cheat' the database, find a submission from someone for your target species posted in the forums, next click that target species in their pattern, will bring up the whole db B)

if you go to the database and search panfish you will get a ton of possibilities

id go with this one

bluegillbug-1.jpg

click search then go to the species in the drop down menu scroll to panfish then click search

Also if you make that pattern bigger maybe to a size 3-6 hook it would be awesome for bass. I made it a couple of years ago- it worked so good I caught something over 20 smallies

id go with this one

bluegillbug-1.jpg

click search then go to the species in the drop down menu scroll to panfish then click search

My rule of thumb for bluegill patterns: anything you spend extra time on, trying to challenge yourself, is going to be shredded in 6 fish. And 6 fish in bluegill terms might be a few minutes. :)

I stick to simple, durable patterns. If you've never bluegill fished you have no idea how destructive they are on flies. I like subsurface patterns with marabou tails, chenille bodies, and some rubber legs. Surface patterns like foam spiders, foam tied in Gurgler style over a chenille body with some rubber legs is very deadly. My most detailed bluegill pattern is a generic nymph I tie in all black for winter fishing, and here is the recipe:

-Head: copper bead

-Tail: black rabbit

-Body: black D-rib or similar material

-Wing Case: black bucktail

-Thorax: black nymph Spectrablend dubbing

I don't know why, exactly, but that pattern in sizes 10-14 absolutely murders Ohio bluegills all the way from December-March. Fish it about 3' under an indicator and be ready. With those materials it is fairly durable and will last several fish.