Fly Tying
hairwing

Thumbnail Dun

Pull those extra long hackles you don't have a use for through your thumbnail a few times and you'll get a hackle that fits a smaller hook and also bent hackle tips which mean better floatablility.

005_zpsa077b74f.jpg003_zps25ed3d9b.jpg

Very fishable but I think it looks a bit messy. I really like the curved tips though tongue.png

Any tips on making my fly less "meesy"? wink.png

Very fishable but I think it looks a bit messy. I really like the curved tips though tongue.png

Any tips on making my fly less "meesy"? wink.png

Tie it up "neater".

neater??? messy??? I think the fly is superb in it's original state and the curved hackle lends itself to a more buggy profile. Appropriate sized hackle defeats the purpose of this fly, and it would become a plain old Adams variation. Strong work here Hairwing.

A fly such as this evolves....it just doesn't happen.
Let me take you back a ways and offer a few thoughts as to the why of this fly. There has always been an argument about the best hackle to float a fly, stiff hackle, soft hackle, trimmed hackle, webby, webfree and so on. Today there is no conclusion and I really could care less to get involved in the argument. This fly is simply tackle talk for you to think about and possibly add a technique to your toolbox.
Back when... it was a sought after neck and a true prize to own a cock neck that had the very tips of the hackle barbs to curl. I have never owned one but I was always on the lookout for one. If you find a neck like this consider it a treasure. The theory behind these curled barbs was that they bent when they came into contact withe the waters surface film and didn't poke a tip through it like the always recommended stiff hackle.
Theo Preskaveic was a French tyer and shop owner from the 1930's and offered the idea that soft hackle floated a fly really well too me anyways at the time I read his thoughts. Consider that the soft hackle bends rather than poking the water film and keeps the fly afloat. The problem with the soft hackle was that it couldn't withstand the false casting and retrieves back through the water, the fly was suddenly a wet fly, what resulted from Theo's thinking was a stiff hackle that was fronted by a soft hackle, the dressed soft hackle not letting the fly sink immediately. I've used the idea tying flys for myself for many years and it works great !
Lots of fly tying material can be manipulated for effects, drawing materials over your thumb nail like wrapping ribbon is one. Doing this will curl materials but it's not permanent. You will get a few good ...great floats but the curls will go back straight and you''ll have to renew the curls in them.
What totally surprised me was how the hackle wrapped after being skewed, just like a normal hackle, even when I used two hackle.
Thanks to all that expressed interest in the technique and I hope you try it for yourself. Try it on your Woolly Bugger hackle smile.png .
Carry on.
hw

neater??? messy??? I think the fly is superb in it's original state and the curved hackle lends itself to a more buggy profile. Appropriate sized hackle defeats the purpose of this fly, and it would become a plain old Adams variation. Strong work here Hairwing.

Completely agree. Thanks for the tip and really like the looks of that fly.

Does the water make the hackle straighten out again after the fly dries? I agree it looks great and more 'buggy' than traditional dries but would like to know what the post wet/dry one looks like.

Does the water make the hackle straighten out again after the fly dries? I agree it looks great and more 'buggy' than traditional dries but would like to know what the post wet/dry one looks like.

Try going back to my post #9 paragraph 5 in this thread and you'll find my thoughts on your question.