Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Michigan Trout Guy

Salmon flies

Hi, I'm new to this site and I was just wondering what seems to be some good flies to use for salmon. I normally fish in the rogue river in Grand Rapids and it still seems to be early for salmon. :dunno:

Snapper actually its starting to get near the end of the run for salmon ....problem is this was just a VERY strange year this year, Usually salmon will start running the rivers on the west side about late august and peak around the 3rd week of september, then there will still be some decent fish around till about the second week of October.

This year though the water was so low the fish werent in the rivers very strong till about 2 weeks ago when we got 5inches of rain in one day...then they stormed up the rivers and went right to the gravel. Now they are ethier still on the gravel, or alot of them are starting to die already. Most likely there are no more fish to come in now, so if you want to hit some your gonna have to get out there by this weekend or there wont be anything but dieing 'skunks" after that.

Try: Egg patterns, Egg sucking leeches,stone flies, green caddis larva, hex nymphs, latex wigglers, hair wings, wolly buggers. Most likely the egg patterns will be your best bet at this time of the year, you may find a hungry steelie on a egg right now as well.

SD

I do not know man but I got a feeling that there a few more to come down here in SW MI The coho numbers have been good but the kings have been in for only about a week in good numbers Normally down here we get decent fish untill the 3rd week of oct. I have also heard that some good LRBs have been showing up at the piers :headbang: :headbang: This was a strange year it seemd late and then all of a sudden whamo fish like crazy!!!!! Im thinking that there still maybe some skams to come yet to then if we all hold our cards right it wont get down to the 30s till dec and we might get a fall run this year :yahoo: Might!! last year stunk!!!

Yeah, I'm with you day5. We just recently started seeing good numbers of fish around here. We still have not really seen any on their beds yet. We usually go just before and normally an hour after dark, and we're just not seeing many, if any fish holding in the shallow gravel yet. If they are spawning now, shouldn't we be able to see some that are, for the most part sticking to one spot on gravel? Most of the fish we are seeing seem like they are just moving through. And we can't get a damn one of them to take our flies!!! :angry:

The fall run of steelhead is another thing I was wondering about. Do they come up in the fall to spawn, or what? :dunno: Do we get a decent fall steelhead run here in SW MI?

I honestly think there arent many, if any, more to come in this year guys, I could be wrong (and hope I am) but honestly if they havent all came in by Oct 11th then I would be REALLY surprized if theres more to run the river now. The PM, Big M, White and other rivers just above you guys have peaked and are still fishing good, but the salmon are now on the downward swing of the run.

If your not seeing them on Gravel MTG then it might not be that they arent working the gravel, it most likely is just that the water is low&clear and they arent holding on gravel during the day. They will be holding in the darker holes during the day then working the gravel at night. Look at the gravel bars and see if there are table top sized clean(i.e whitish) spots on the gravel. If so than that means they are close by and comeing up on it at night. Fish the first hole down stream from that cleaned gravel during the day to find them ;)

Steelhead dont come in to spawn in the fall, they run in the fall but they are following up the salmon and then wintering over in the deeper holes all winter till spring. Drift some egg flies to find them right now.