Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Squirmy Leech

Tied up one of these last week on a #6 offset worm hook and it worked better than expected catching a few small bass and a number of bream and tons of nips. I modified slightly and used a 3306 #6 for the front hook and snelled a size #12 down eye nymph hook as a stinger to get more of the tail nipping bream. It's 2.5" long and casts easily with my 4wt, a larger bass is bound to eat this sooner or later.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture3035-d

I like it. Do you find that you maintain a lot of tail waggle even though the trailer is sort of tethering it?

Piker, oddly enough, the tail doesn't really waggle much without the stinger as I originally tied it. I haven't fished this one with the stinger but the weight of the little hook may actually give it some wiggle...many of the rubber/plastic stick/jerk baits that baitcaster/spinfishers use are not very wiggly and they catch a bunch of fish. Not sure what a stick looking organism is in the water but I was getting hits on almost every cast with the prototype.

Piker, oddly enough, the tail doesn't really waggle much without the stinger as I originally tied it. I haven't fished this one with the stinger but the weight of the little hook may actually give it some wiggle...many of the rubber/plastic stick/jerk baits that baitcaster/spinfishers use are not very wiggly and they catch a bunch of fish. Not sure what a stick looking organism is in the water but I was getting hits on almost every cast with the prototype.

Proof again we should let the fish be the judges of our efforts.

I sometimes wonder if wriggling legs can give too much stimulus. A little like a rattlin crankbait failing on a calm clear water compared to a more subtle bait.

Mike, maybe one day during the week. Just taking lunch and a breather from digging fence post holes, getting ready for round 2, setting them in concrete and then off to family get together and tomorrow more fence posts.

There should be instructional videos on furling on Youtube. The tail here is just furled silicone legs and the body is loop dubbed rabbit. The stinger hook is just a down eye nymph hook snelled with 10lb test and tied on the shank and doubled back to lock.

Piker, fish will certainly surprise you as to what they like, I've had to many "killer" looking flies come off my vise only to be ignored by the judge and seeming failures off the vise that they tore up.