Fly Tying
Gustav F.

Norvise automatic bobbin

Those of you that own one of nors automatic bobbins, what do you think of it? Have you tried it with a vise other than the norvise? I would be interested in one for tying non rotary style, simply to speed things up a little bit.

/Gustav

I have 2 and use them all the time, they are very helpful with rotary tying. The only drawback is that you need to load the spools from the normal thread spools. Each one comes with extra spools, so you can load up 4 different threads for each bobbin. Extra spools are also available. I plan on getting a third one soon.

The only other automatic bobbin that I know of is the Ekich, and its priced at $100. But it uses regular thread spools.

I recently bought an ekich to compare....don't like it as much. Ergonomically the nor bobbin is better, it's better balanced, and has a full ceramic tube. The only advantage I found is the ekich you can pop a regular spool on there but you can't spin it for split thread technique to save your life because all the weight is one side because of this. Also, when putting on a spool, you have to make sure the o-ring that holds it on doesn't slip out of it's groove, but it's difficult because the fit is kind of tight (for some spools, not all). So, sometimes it takes a couple minutes for me just to get a spool on and the bobbin to retract properly. Also, resetting it mid tie is a pain at times. Also, you have to position the bobbin in your hand in the correct orientation to be able to apply tension to the spool... so you have to make sure you grab it in the right way every time you pick the bobbin back up.... The nor-bobbin it doesn't matter as it's symmetrical. Yes you have to respool thread, but with a cordless drill it takes all of 30 seconds or so. Only having a ceramic insert is kind of a drawback too.... Not gonna run any super strong threads through it because it is pricey ast $100.

But yeah, to answer your question, it's not for just rotary tying. Pretty much, I can't use a regular bobbin anymore because rewinding thread seems so weird.

Love the nor bobbin, been tying with them for about 8 years, I won 4 now and a couple dozen spools. I tied on a nor vice for about 4 years but use the bobbins with other vices I've owned like the Traveler and the Dyna King Barracuda. Don't use the Nor vice anymore as I like my Law better but still really love the bobbins. Tried the Ekich bobbin but it sits in a box.

I was given my first bobbin before i even had a clue who made it or that they also had a vise. I loved it so much that i now own 3 of them. I also got the vise after several years but am not as happy with it...Like my regal clone more. BUT there is no way you can get me to part with my auto-bobbins! And as you can probably tell use them with different vises.

I'm another very satisfied Norlander automatic bobbin user. I use the nor-vise too, but the bobbin works fine with any vise. On the spool issue, you can buy 10 spools for $25 and they are hold a lot of thread and are quick and easy to switch. The one drawback I can see is that the spool will retract and pull the thread out of the bobbin if you don't maintain tension. the nor-vise has a little button that you loop the thread around in between flys so that you don't have to re-thread every time. If you are using the automatic bobbin with another vise you will probably want to rig up something similar.

Mike.

I use the bobbins and ended up buying the vise later. Before I bought a Nor-vise, I made a thread post and was able to use the bobbins, with my Renzetti Traveler, exactly like Norm's but only slower. A bobbin rest rest works good also with the automatics.

iaflyfisher

post-18117-1271687135_thumb.jpg

3/0 waxed mono plugs the Nor bobbin every 3 or so flies. Thread has to be wraped around the bobbin arm a few times to keep tension so that it does not fall to the floor which brings the thread into the ceramic tube at a angle which strips wax off the thread and plugs the COUGH! COUGH! bobbin. Someone tell me i'm wrong.

Brent

3/0 waxed mono plugs the Nor bobbin every 3 or so flies. Thread has to be wraped around the bobbin arm a few times to keep tension so that it does not fall to the floor which brings the thread into the ceramic tube at a angle which strips wax off the thread and plugs the COUGH! COUGH! bobbin. Someone tell me i'm wrong.

Brent

Hey Brent, Maybe you wouldn't find so much fault with everything that isn't dirrectly based on you if you would stay off the "COUGH! COUGH!" Crack pipe???

I have NEVER had one clog. Since the tube isn't regular ceramic but seems to be the same kind of teflon impregnated polymer used in some automotive aps i am used to, it would be MUCH MUCH harder for it to clog than any standard metal, or ceramic, tube. And if the bobin falls to the floor it meens you don't have the vise mounted right over your desk which could go a LOOONG way to answering your problems in using the vise???

I like it bit It takes some getting use to. The biggest thing for me was remembering to pull out 14 inches of thread after cutting it. If you don't it gets sucked back in and you have to re-thread it. Now I find myself pulling thread out of my other bobbins without thinking.

I haven't had mine clog from waxed thread, but I don't use 3/0 in it.

Instead of pulling out that much thread and wasting it, you can do a couple of wraps around the vice post and let it hang till you need to use it again. Norm also has plastic "caps" that hold the thread from retracting after using it for a session, very slick. You can also just fold the thread against the bobbin tube and wrap an elastic band around it to hold it. I've production tied with the bobbins for years, never once a clog.

I too wrap my thread around the the bobbin rest post when I finish a fly. I never pull that much thread out, a hackle plier can also be clipped to the thread to hold it when your done with a fly or session Never have had a problem with wax clogging the bobbin tube.