Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Fly Fisherman Magazine Article bibliography and/or database --

Years ago--in the early days of the net--there was a guy who periodically posted a bibliography of Fly Fisherman Magazine articles, listing titles and authors and perhaps, (I can't really remember) an abstract article description.

I can't find a copy and I've looked. Does anybody remember the name of the guy who kept that list? Or know of an online copy I can look at?

I need to know the date of a John Gierach piece about "Flies or Lures" that appeared in the early to mid-1980s. Perhaps someone with a magazine collection might know the date of that article. Then I wouldn't need the bibiography.

That John Gierach article talked about flies made by AK Best and some other guy with a weird Scottish name....Pitten something. Perhaps it was Pittendrigh.

Fly Fisherman sells old magazines but they don't go back that far. What I'd really like is a scanned copy of the article. Perhaps I should try contacting John Gierach. Now there's an idea!

I have that issue. So Sandy, you still live in Bozeman? You still tie the Bankrobbers?

PM me with your snail mail address. I have a complete set of FFM from vol 1 issue 1 until I cancelled my subscription a couple of years ago. I also have the early issues of Fly Fisher, the magazine of the FFF. I will photocopy the article and mail it to you.

35337705570_bef7c86074_o.jpg

35337705500_ceea2a3baf_o.jpg

There are 2 separate & different catalog indexes for Fly Fisherman magazines listed by fly patterns, authors & locations covering the earlier years of publication.

Most likely the article is on the bookshelves of fly fishing, fishing & boating research literature.

SliverCreek. Thank you. I think a scanned copy is already in the mail. Yes I still make BankRobbers, but more often as Minnows now rather than as Stonefly Nymphs....as I originally wrote about. Was that Fly Tyer Magazine? I think so.

https://montana-riverboats.com/?page=Flies/Sandy-Pittendrigh/Bankrobber.jpg

Bankrobber.jpg

https://montana-riverboats.com/?page=Flies/Sandy-Pittendrigh/Articles/Bankrobber.htm

You live near Silver Creek? It's fall streamer season there now. Damn. I drove through Picabo a week ago, on my way back home from Oregon. But didn't have time to fish.