Fly Tying

Solarez!

First place, Feather Craft, I saw it available in their catalog. Been using UV gel from fingernail shop but the alcohol never seemed to end the tackyness. I use the thin mostly and it'll run/ penetrate and the thick is thick! Haven't tried the flex yet but sposed to retain flex in mat'l but not sure yet. The 3 tubes $15, the 2 oz bottle was $23.50. Been trying to get craft stores to stock Loons or this without success. The instant hardening gotta be a plus for craft people not necessarily tyfliers!

I had gotten the lite at BassPro for $15 but they never could keep the Loons resin....this gotta be better!

IMG_0243.jpg

Couple streamer heads

IMG_0263.jpg

For a much better product and a wealth of support information contact Silver Creek about his UV resins and setting light:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=85123&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Silver Creek is a frequent contributor on this forum and others - his products are moderately priced and of the highest quality.

Been trying to get craft stores to stock Loons or this without success. The instant hardening gotta be a plus for craft people not necessarily tyfliers!

UV resin is so useful. I've used it for a few things around the house, just because I had it. So you're right, the craft stores should stock it.

Been trying to get craft stores to stock Loons or this without success. The instant hardening gotta be a plus for craft people not necessarily tyfliers!

UV resin is so useful. I've used it for a few things around the house, just because I had it. So you're right, the craft stores should stock it.

Many hardware stores carry UV glue, either Bondic or the infomercial version "5 second fix". I assume the craft stores are next.

51vpJHYvuUL.jpg

Can't figure out why these resin companies salesmen haven't hit HobbLobby, Michaels, etc. yet!

Can't figure out why these resin companies salesmen haven't hit HobbLobby, Michaels, etc. yet!

There are similar products, maybe even the same ones with different branding, for craft making. I think the brand I saw was Lisa Pavelka's glossy something.

Interesting...usually things like the uv first end up in hardware and or craft stores then get a different label and an inflated price tag for the fly fishermen.

Solarez got into fly tying shortly after discussions with and experiments by a west coast tier (Jay Murakoshi) if I recall correctly. Their primary product up to that point was for surf boards. If you want a nice example of the premium tiers are charged by these UV resin manufacturers/repackagers, take a look at the price on their surfing products. Are the products identical? No. But are they different enough to justify the mark up? YMMV, but I prefer epoxy still unless I'm in a real hurry.

I began to use Loon UV Knot Sense in 2000-2001 to tie flies with from Bill Heaton at the Troutfisher in Denver.
He had already begun using it a couple of years earlier. Loon started producing UV Knot Sense in the early 90's.
An article appeared in Fly Fisherman Magazine on the use of Alternatives to Epoxy by Vince Wilcox in the July issue 2006.

My Latex Scud first appeared in that article.

Kimo