Fly Tying
tflyons

High Tying Technique

I am new to forum use so please forgive me if I do something that offends. I hate to apologize before I do something but it will probably be needed later!

I am interested in some of the Enrico Puglisi baitfish flies I am seeing. I looked on line and found instructions that referenced a high tying technique. I could find no instructions on this technique and my tying efforts using EP fibers were not very good.

I have been tying for over twenty years and haven't until lately encountered the high tie technique. If anyone out there has some suggestions I would appreciate hearing from him or her.

I am new to forum use so please forgive me if I do something that offends. I hate to apologize before I do something but it will probably be needed later!

I am interested in some of the Enrico Puglisi baitfish flies I am seeing. I looked on line and found instructions that referenced a high tying technique.

I take it this is something other than tying with the aid of a certain herb - most flies I've seen from that method are a little fuzzy.. :rolleyes:

I am sure someone will be along that can help you, welcome to the forum.

Michael

I tried to find a video but had no luck. It's easier to see than to explain but here's a try. I tie a lot of these. You need to wrap a small bunch of fibers around the thread like a U shape. Then pull the thread tight attaching it to the hook. You do this on the top and bottom. (Man this is hard to explain). when you are done one wrap, both ends of the fiber bunch are pointing outwards. do this down the length of the hook on the top and bottom unitl you have filled the hook. Then take a stiff toothbrush, and brush the fibers out. This gives them volume. Then you trim.

I'll keep looking for a video as words are hard to explain this technique. If anyone can add to this to make it more clear...please do.

Basically, if you've ever watched hippies tie, you've seen the high tying technique. They come up with some pretty colorful and unique patterns, usually with anti-war messages worked in somehow... They often have tying get togethers called "happenings"......

Just Joking of course :) I've never heard of the technique, and I'm curious to see what it is.

It looks like these guys did a good job explaining what to do but I will see if I can clear it up a little more.

DSC00136.jpg

The first thing I always do is add some flash to simulate the gills.

DSC00137.jpg

Then I start adding the EP fibers. The clumps should be very small since you want to build your fly vertically not horizontally. Start by wrapping in the middle of the fibers using just a few tight wraps.

DSC00138.jpg

Then fold the fibers back over and make a few more good tight wraps slightly in front of where your first wraps were.

DSC00139.jpg

Flip the fly over and do the same thing on the bottom with a different color of fibers.

DSC00141.jpg

Continue doing this all the way up the hook shank using progressively shorter clumps of EP.

DSC00142.jpg

When you are as far forward as you plan to go, tie in a piece on each side to cover the hook sides up to the gills.

DSC00143.jpg

Now it is time to take it out of the vice and brush it out with a tooth brush. After you brush it out really well trim it to shape using a sharp scissors.

DSC00146.jpg

Finally add eyes and color on any spots or stripes with permanent markers.

Hopefully that helps a little. This is by no means the only way to do it so if anyone does anything different feel free to post it.

Thanks,

--CHad

Hi tflyons;

Here's an example of one tied as a bluegill: http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/corner.asp?page=8 This site also has step by step instructions. There are several other examples in the fly pattern database on this site.

A couple of other things: there are many subtle, different techniques at high tying, find which works best for you. Also, a lot of the materials used react to heat, in that if you run your pattern under warm water or carefully heat it with a blow dryer, you can set the fibers so they retain thier shape better. Finally, the best tip I can give is if you think you the bunch of material your about to tie on is small enough, half it and eventually you will reduce the material to the proper amount. You'll know when you get it right!

Wayneb

Hi tflyons;

Here's an example of one tied as a bluegill: http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/corner.asp?page=8 This site also has step by step instructions. There are several other examples in the fly pattern database on this site.

A couple of other things: there are many subtle, different techniques at high tying, find which works best for you. Also, a lot of the materials used react to heat, in that if you run your pattern under warm water or carefully heat it with a blow dryer, you can set the fibers so they retain thier shape better. Finally, the best tip I can give is if you think you the bunch of material your about to tie on is small enough, half it and eventually you will reduce the material to the proper amount. You'll know when you get it right!

Wayneb

Wayneb,

There are 6 really good bluegill patterns by Carter Nelson at this site. The pattern you referenced is one of the flies I needed the high tie technique for. Thanks much for the quick reply and the tips..

Tom

It looks like these guys did a good job explaining what to do but I will see if I can clear it up a little more.

DSC00136.jpg

The first thing I always do is add some flash to simulate the gills.

DSC00137.jpg

Then I start adding the EP fibers. The clumps should be very small since you want to build your fly vertically not horizontally. Start by wrapping in the middle of the fibers using just a few tight wraps.

DSC00138.jpg

Then fold the fibers back over and make a few more good tight wraps slightly in front of where your first wraps were.

DSC00139.jpg

Flip the fly over and do the same thing on the bottom with a different color of fibers.

DSC00141.jpg

Continue doing this all the way up the hook shank using progressively shorter clumps of EP.

DSC00142.jpg

When you are as far forward as you plan to go, tie in a piece on each side to cover the hook sides up to the gills.

DSC00143.jpg

Now it is time to take it out of the vice and brush it out with a tooth brush. After you brush it out really well trim it to shape using a sharp scissors.

DSC00146.jpg

Finally add eyes and color on any spots or stripes with permanent markers.

Hopefully that helps a little. This is by no means the only way to do it so if anyone does anything different feel free to post it.

Thanks,

--CHad

CHad,

Thanks for the instructions. They will get me going in the right direction.

Tom