Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Seadog

I never thought I would stoop to this level

I know there has been plenty of posts about members aquiring tying materials off of road kill. Untill today, I never thought I could stoop to that level.

As I was driving down the road in a small town here in Indiana, I came across a buffalo head lying along side the roadway. My first thoughts were of what kind of fly I could tie with that hair. Needles to say, I cut off a large clump :hypocrite:

Seadog,

I have to ask, what in the world was a buffalo head doing in Indiana? Do you have buffalo in Indiana. Buffalo ranches? Was it just killed?

I would have stopped also.

Rob

No buffalo roaming the range in Hoosier land. There a few farms that have buffalo that they raise to sell the meat. My best guess is someone is taking it to dispose and it fell of a truck. I had the town street department pick it up and well i could not resist this 5 inch plus long hair.

don't feel bad. I am that guy on the side of the road to. I'v gotton alot of stuff there. I have to say that I go bow hunting for Elk & other critters ervery year and feel it is my responsiblty to use as much of that animal as I can. hence I don't buy elk or deer hair any more, got more pheasant tails then I'll ever need. but the fact is that tying material is sitting on the side of the road-- if it was a shopping bag full of tyiing material any of us wuold throw it in the car and smile, I say get what you can while you can.

this is something I was told and I acted onthere are 4 type of real Ivory in the world or is it 3 either way one of them is found in a racoon & so as not to ofend I'll call it he's PP this is what used to be known as a cowboy toothpick, I have collected many of these ---------------but the side of the raod has alot to offer a fly tyer

I know there has been plenty of posts about members aquiring tying materials off of road kill. Untill today, I never thought I could stoop to that level.

As I was driving down the road in a small town here in Indiana, I came across a buffalo head lying along side the roadway. My first thoughts were of what kind of fly I could tie with that hair. Needles to say, I cut off a large clump :hypocrite:

I've been tempted. I saw a family of racoons that looked fresh on the weekend; 2 big ones and 5 little ones good thing the wife was with me or I would of been homeless.

:lol: I've hacked off the tail of a Racoon before :whistle:

We do not have racoons over here, but once I cut off tail of a weasel. That thing was just crawling with fleas! Taught me a lesson. Yuck.

On the other hand I have good experience with birds who get executed on electric power wires. Usually the body gets electrocuted, but wings stay intact and make great tying materials. This way I acquired some great heron, buzzard and owl feathers :D

I've been tempted, especially when I saw a fresh Bob Cat in the road. I will pickup the occasional goose, duck or pheasant feather and clean them up before use. As for roadkill, I like living in my house. Besides there was a great article over the summer in Field and Stream for NJ Roadkill Stew. :sick:

I clipped an old lady with pink hair a few weeks back, I felt bad threw her in the back of the truck was using some of that hair for streamers. Now all the rest of my materials are infested with bugs....

Seriously, I always have a problem with this only because I could pay off my house with the materials in my ftr. My concern is the roadkill part of it, I've never seen a road kill that I thought was fresh enough to break out a pair of scissors. Well except for the statement above, "an old lady with pink hair".

Yes, if you are a hunter I think it is your responsiblity to use the fur and feathers of the animals you kill.

I came across a buffalo head lying along side the roadway. My first thoughts were of what kind of fly I could tie with that hair.

Funny, my first thought would be either: 'gee what is this buffalo head doing on the side of the road' or 'gee where is the rest of the buffalo' or 'gee I think I will have a buffalo burger for supper tonight'

:rolleyes: :bugeyes:

We have a buffalo farm a few miles from our house and get meat there all the time, but next time I will have to ask him what he does with the fur.

Search this site for the freezer, microwave bug killing routine as you don't want your collection of materials to get infested.

Was at the station tying for an upcoming coast trip the other day when the engine rolled in and one of my buddies brought me a fresh tail, he stated the body had been pancaked, but the tail was fluttering in the wind and reminded him of me...name that road kill? The creation took a beautiful Rio Grande on its first dip...

post-15973-1258171707_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1258171904_thumb.jpg

Looks like a pretty good sized Squirrel to me Swink. Cheers, Futzer.

Wow, is that what is called a Texas Cichlid? I've had one for almost 20 years now.... sadly she's got a big tumor on her side now that will probably be the end of her.... meanest damn fish I ever had.... killed oscars and plenty of potential mates in her day.....