Fly Tying
Cheri

Soft hackle question

Well maybe I have more than one. First, I have tried tying in the hackle both directions and I seem to get a better spin when I tie it in over the eye (feather point facing out) :huh: . Does it really matter? Second, depending on hook size should hackle end at the start of the hook point? Is there a mark where it should end, so that I am readying my feather to the correct size? :unsure:

Cheri

Cheri

It sounds like you are tying a flymph-style wet fly. The hackle on a flymph generally starts with a turn or two just behind the eye (like a traditional soft-hackle) and then continues back in open turns toward the tail. I usually aim to end about 3/4 of the body length from the eye. Now where that is in relation to the hook point depends upon how much of the hook shank I use for the body. I often end the body just above the point, and sometimes even shorter than that!

As for "readying the feather"- I also usually tye my feather in facing over the eye. My preparation is to:

1) select a feather with fibers 1.5 to 2 times the hook gap,

2) strip off all the fluffy bits from the base,

3) often (but not always) remove the fibers from the off-side of the feather.

When tying with (chicken) hen cape I wrap back to the 3/4 body mark. When tying with game bird wing coverts I usually wrap back as far as possible- they rarely get to the 3/4 mark. Of course, my tying thread will be waiting at the 3/4 mark so I can tye off the feather. I will then wind the thread through the hackle to the head. This reinforces the hackle greatly. Winding the thread forward through a soft-hackle collar also helps make the fibers stand out perpendicular to the hook shank. (Very useful if you plan on stream or river fishing.)

There are Step-by-Step instructions for tying a traditional soft-hackle (Waterhen Bloa) and a flymph-style wet (Stewart's Spider) at the following link:

http://fishermonk.com

I hope this is helpful.

usually when tying soft hackles you tie the feather in tip first with the conclave of the feather facing back then wrap 1 to 2 turns and tie off the same spot on the hook you tied it on to

Interesting how many methods everyone uses. I tie mine in this method. Here is a pattern that I tied and Hans

photographed from a swap about a year ago.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/steps/poe/poe.htm

post-19679-1266521290_thumb.jpg

usually when tying soft hackles you tie the feather in tip first with the conclave of the feather facing back then wrap 1 to 2 turns and tie off the same spot on the hook you tied it on to

I once received a nice collection of wet flies from England that were tied concave forward so that the hackle extended beyond the eye of the hook. They really moved in the water when you stripped it in. I sometimes tie mine that way.

Hi Everyone,

Cheri, the hackle can be tied on by the tip OR the stem. It is most often a matter of preference, but sometime, if the stem is too thick, it might be better to tie in by the tip. I also tie in by the tip when I hackle my flymphs through the thorax. You must manipulate the feather to assure it is not tied in reverse, so the back of the feather is toward the rear of the fly.

Traditionally, Soft-hackles, spiders and flymphs are dressed so the hackles go back over the body, the back of the hackle feather wrapped toward the rear of the fly. When tying standard soft-hackles on regular wet fly hooks, I measure the hackle fiber against the hook shank. If it measures just short of the shank length, it's pretty good. Some tiers like them a bit shorter, and of course, tying on short hooks, the hackles can be tied longer than the shank length. Some patterns were/are tied traditionally, with shorter hackle like an Iron Blue Dun, which is often dressed as a soft hackle nymph.

Old North Country flies were actually tied with the hackle fibers dressed more perpendicular to the hook shank, almost like a dry fly, again with the back of the feather toward the rear of the hook. Like this:

Woodcock and Orange

These flies were fished upstream. Nowadays, many fish them swinging them in the current downstream, so the hackles can be swept slightly back. Like This:

Hare Lug and Plover

David,

The flies you received were most likely Alpine Spiders if they were wingless. They are tied with soft-hackles, reversed.

Mark

This is my method as well.

-- Mike

Thanks all, that really helped! I did a few last night and all went smoothly for the most part.