Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Franken Fish

After 3 months of working with this thing, I have the size, weight and action right. Tomorrow, I'm going to try it in City Park; I hope I get a few bass to eat it to check out its durability. If it falls apart, I'll be ticked!

Check out the action in this little video I shot in my backyard swimming pool.

Kirk

DSC_0981-1.jpg

awesome! Just make sure you tie good knots, because the fish are going to hammer that thing. It will kill on the flats.

Thanks fellas.

Bryan, I can throw it on a 7wt but an 8 and 9 is better. Just got back from throwing it at the park and had four bass eat but I missed the hookset. This one is a floater but I had to let the floating line sink and swim it a foot below for the strikes, they wouldn't come up. Tried a black one that doesn't float high but no takers; will have to make a smaller white shad to sink.

BadFish, it is a flyrod lure, not much different than lipped or barbell weighted flyrod lures tied with soft and fuzzy materials. I don't think IGFA recognizes any metal parts on a fly other than blades, so, you wouldn't be able to submit a record fish to IGFA caught on this but some state record associations state a flyrod plug cannot be a commercially manufactured minature lure; glad I'm not a record chaser, this thing is fun to fish on a flyrod.

Kirk