Fly Tying
mdmayo

Tying tabletop organizers or desks?

I'm planning to improve my tying location from the kitchen table. Am curious what you would recommend; tying benches/organizers/workstations or desks? dunno.gif

Thanks

Mayo,

Here goes: again this is my way and there are many WAYs.

First-I tyed on a TV tray--new tyer.

Second-- kitchen table--not good-- feathers got in the chow and the wife complained a bit !

Third---dining room table---Lasted about a month; a mass of general confussion. Wife bitched alot. mad.gif

Fourth---- went out to the OLD hardshell camper ( that was a 1962) for all you old guys. I tied in that for probably 8 or nine years.:got me out of the house, had all the junk (wife's words) in one place and the wife "did not" complain. My mess and I had to deal with it. No children, no dogs and nobody to bug me---er bother me. We purchased a newer camper.

Fifth----- bugeyes.gif And the last. I tye in an upstairs bedroom ( not a bedroom---now a tying room) on an old rolltop desk. I like all the little cubbie holes and the drawers for my small quanity of material. I try and not collect alot of material ( sorry to all the guys who do). I find that as my tying continues and improves ( I've been doing this for awhile) I don't use alot of the stuff I started out with: aka chenille---I hardly ever use the stuff. Anybody need some ? ? ?

Don't know if that helps but it does give you an idea of what I went through. Hopefully, I can stay "upstairs" for awhile. Don't know that I like walking up & down all those stairs. The house has personality----that means lot & lots of work.

How you get a soultion. help.gif A drain in the middle would probably help as hywel has pointed out already.

tidbit

I don't have the room for a dedicated tying area in my home so I use the Oasis Compact Bench. I love it I just pull it off a shelf in the back room and put it on my work desk which of course has a flexible arm light, and I'm tying. I store all of my tying materials in a couple of large plastic tubs I got for 5.00 a piece at JoAnn fabrics. The bench stores more thread, tools, bobbins,etc. than you'll ever need. It also has room to keep enough materials on hand to not have to pull down the storage tubs too often with just a little planning. I bought this one because I was just starting out tying and was not sure what I'd want as far as layout goes, but now I think I'd just build it myself, in fact I've been thinking of selling some through my local fly shop (I'm a professional woodworker).

http://www.oasisbenches.com/compact_bench.htm

How about those organizers on wheels, any walmart has them, and they come in all sizes, at least you would have see thru drawers, can move it from room to room and they don't look bad...Food for thought...

feathers

I use a system called the Fly Hive. It uses vinyl bags that have pockets and an interior backbone for vertical support. I saw some of the professional tyers uing it at a show and it condenses everything on your desk and everything is found in seconds because it is visable.

The oaisis systems are very good. I have a roll top desk in my fly tying room, and use the diff. accessorys like the new hook caddy, the bead tray, I also use the small bench that Washatch had them make for them, because it will handle all of the tools I have of theres. ( I am a tool junky ) I was lucky enough after we got the house paid of 2 years ago to be abel to build a 25x25 fly tying room on behind the garage. I can now have fly tying get to gethers here. (that is why I want to get info on starting a UFT groop here in Oregon ) and I teach class's also.

David

Take the camper outta the picture and I think I have followed the same foot steps as Tidbit, now use a oasis table top unit with vise mounted in it and all materials are store in a series of plastic shoe boxes and binders stored on a book case.

I don't keep a seperate desk because I have limited space so this is how I do it.

I have an organizer with handles that folds out. I keep my hooks, thread, tinsels and wire in here. I got it from BPS and just used my multitool to hack out a spot to put my vice for storage. I keep this open on a piece of wood that measures about 1 foot by three feet. My vice is always fastened to this. I keep this put together and set it wherever and tie, then I just carry if off and set it to the side when not in use.

For my materials I use one of those letter organizers with the drawers and organize them according to use. When I need it I pop it out of the closet, take the drawers out and set them aside so I can pull whatever I need. When company comes I can put it away in a heartbeat. It also makes it easy when you need to pack up for a trip and like to tie when there when you find a pattern that works.

My tying room is a converted walk-in closet. My wife (she does the carpentry work, I cook) mounted a piece of counter top for my surface area. I also have plenty of shelving for storage. I stay away from those "fly tying desks or desk tops." In my opinion, they are loaded with frills and items that tend to get in the way. By customizing, you get only what you want and save money.

Andrew

I have a divided attic bedroom. One side is for computer, fly tying & my daughters art supplies.

My table- I picked up a cheap light colored topped table at IKEA (Can get them anywhere) comfortable chair. I keep most of my supplies in tupperware etc.

Some of the home improvement stores have those plastic nut & bolt holders. They have a number of drawers for hooks etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

JP

Actually, I have a rolltop desk AND a portable desk. I use BOTH. Desk is when I just want to sit and tie with no distractions. I grab the portable desk when I want to walk away, tie outside, or sit on the couch and tie at leisure.

I moved out of my computer room, and turned it into a fly tying room. I have a large "l" shaped desk to work on. I bought a bunch of boxex from ikea, and they a re great for holong most materials. I made a bobin holder that holds like 300 bobbins, and it's close to filling up with different materials.

I use a portable bench on here as well, just to keep things a bit better organized, and to have a place I can let flies dry(spots to hang flies). I also put in a small 13" tv beside me so I can watch videos while I tie, or just for background noise.

It's a pretty good setup. I too started on the kitchen table, but this only lasted about 2 weeks. Luckily we had the extra space avaiable. I want to build my own "portable" bench, complete with a backplate for taking photos. That is a future project though.

I also evovled from the kitchen table, dining room table, and now have two 6-foot folding table in the basement - a semi-workable solution for my tying sprawl.

A few thing that have helped me get organized (term used loosely...) are the thread spool holders that you can get at W-mart or JoAnn's, and some plastic stroage containers. I use the ones that are just a bit bigger than a shoe box and have the snap clasp on each end, can open from either end with one hand.

We are moving next summer and I plan to wall off a room in the basement for tying, use cork board and peg board for the wall, and add LOTS of lights.