Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Pan fish tickler.

Ditto what TimeFlies said. You might have a problem with a lot of hits, no hook ups, due to the fish having nothing but a mouth full of tail.

Good looking fly, though ... and maybe the bigger fish will hit the head.

I thought I could always trim the legs shorter but can't grow longer biggrin.png Its only a size 12 so I hoped the fish might just inhale the whole lot blink.png

Yesterday morning, I watched a bass follow my Foxy Glider from behind and inhaled only about an inch of the tail as if he had hands and held the thing and just licked it! If I would not have seen it, I would have never known a fish was interested much less even tasted it as the line didn't move nor did I feel anything and I only had about a foot of flyline out past the rod tip and nine feet of leader.

If they're aggressive in a feeding mode, they'll inhale but if not they'll just nib at or taste the long legs.

Kirk

I would chuck it in the water a few times first to see what happens, you can always cut the legs on site. If you don't get any bites, cut the legs and see if you were missing nibbles like Kirk said

Scissors it is then.

You could wait for on the water, I don't know anything about ya'll fish, it could just be our snobby Western fish. I'm interested to see too what your Scottish panfish look like; they might eat ours for lunch.

Kirk

dang Kirk, we posted nearly the same response at the same time. Great (or twisted?) minds think alike I guess

In truth im not sure we have any fishes much like your panfish. These are heading to a swap. But ill leave any trimming to the water and see what happens.

Would love to seem some posts of your waters and the fish that inhabit them. A trip to Scotland, Ireland and Wales is on my to do list some day.

Pics of the waters is easy, pics of the fish is the challenge, especially if my normal luck holds out laugh.png

Salt water mostly like this

post-42518-0-71502100-1363249112_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-80712400-1363249123_thumb.jpg

and catch various sizes of these if the flies get deep enough

post-42518-0-23836000-1363249137_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-68337900-1363249144_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-04741100-1363249150_thumb.jpg

Then my trout waters I'll take some pics when the season kicks off.

Salmon water

post-42518-0-46238600-1363249290_thumb.jpg

A small venue good for Pike. Shame that boats are not allowed!
post-42518-0-55809500-1363250345_thumb.jpg

Looks identical to a steelhead fly I use. The bluegills will miss it often here but it works good on bigger fish .

Yep but they don't allow any water craft on it. Not sure they would have the ability to chase you off but not worth the hassle. just to the bottom right off picture is another loch with better access and good pike in it.