Fly Tying
Piker20

wind, roofs, best options.

We had a bad storm here on Thursday night, another promised for Monday night; that resulted in my tying shed losing the door and part of the roof. This storm was exceptional and I'm not hoping to see this every winter but seeing as I now need to replace the roof I am keen to hear any experience on a better wind proof roof??? Rather fix the once and all that. Currently the roof is shallow pitched and consists of felt with corrugated panels on top. I am considering removing the panels and applying some flatter flush fitting material??

There are hurricane proof shingles. They have extra thick tar and are heated as the last step. This melts the tar just enough to fuse all the shingles together.

Sorry for your troubles, I hope the contents of your shed did not sustain significant damage. From the personal experience of seeing (and living) the aftermath of "The Hurricane Year" on the east coast of Florida, I can tell you the the only houses near the epicenter of damage that did not sustain roof damage had a modern metal roof on them. These are not the "cheap" corrugated panels from a homeowner type building store. These interlock, have hidden fasteners, and are heavier gauge metal etc. I'm not sure if they offer the same variety metal roofing materials in Scottland or not. I may have seen some on the mainland (Germany) in the last few years but I won't swear to it. It is rather pricey, but if I ever need to put a new roof on a house that will be my route if at all possible. Just make sure the structure is worth it since there is no point in putting a 200 mph roof on a 150 mph building. Also I'd check to see if the structure can support a heavier roof.

Sounds like you need something like this to cope with the wilds of Backies!

sphere.jpg

The winds were quite bad, we had some wheely bins blown over in the village! Good to see you have power restored.

That's our second "one in a hundred year" storm in three years. Your roof should be safe until 2212 if you rebuild! If you believe that...

Cheers,

C.

a variation of Mike's idea, is just to glue the tads down with 'roofing cement'. ditto on the interlock metal roof idea. another option is 'roll and torch' for low pitch roofs.

I'm not sure that the tar on the bottom of shingles will work where it gets extremely cold... suspect the tar might become brittle and lose its ability to hold. I'd check with local builders and see what they recommend. I'll bet one of those roofs covered with grass that Terje posted pix of a while back would work fine. They've been doing that in Switzerland for centuries.

Yep the grass option may be a go to. The mat should hold itself together. I have 'inherited' some more corrugated panels that found there way into my garden, not sure where from yet. The farmer certain they are not his.

The shed itself is not 100mph+ winds proof as the wind sucked the doors clean off and dumped them in the adjoining field. Everything inside sodden but otherwise intact. I've left a gas heater on in there for the 24hrs to dry out the worst of it.

I think I will look at some type of felt topping that can extend down and under the eaves to lower the ability of any winds to get underneath it.

As Crackaig says, these one in hundred events becoming more frequent. Prediction for more 80mph+ tomorrow night and then Thursday bad again. I'm hoping that the remains of the roof survive past this gusty spell so I can get up there and make repairs.

i live in Canada

I'm not sure that the tar on the bottom of shingles will work where it gets extremely cold... suspect the tar might become brittle and lose its ability to hold. I'd check with local builders and see what they recommend. I'll bet one of those roofs covered with grass that Terje posted pix of a while back would work fine. They've been doing that in Switzerland for centuries.

i live in Canada. everything we do, is made/designed for the cold :)

We're blaming you Maple leafers for our stormy weather. Seems cold land temps in Canada is driving a very fast airstream. Some flights from US are over an hour early due to tail wind push they were saying on news tonight.

So Crack says these one in a hundred events are getting more frequent...

I just said the other day that the future isn't what it used to be. :-) ...in terms of weather that seems to be true.

Hey Picker Piker, guess what I was doing all day? Ripping up about 10+ square meters of roofing on my porch. Oh joy. Lots of rotten wood. Next weekend I get to finish the job. The previous owner of the house did a heck of a job bodging the porch together. I'd still rather deal with this though, there is nothing but concrete floor that drains of into dirt under this area. I was thinking about your situation all day, hopefully you survive the next blow without much more damage. I was talking to family and they mentioned the nasty weather I'm guessing it was the same system that did in your shed, guess I should tell the to brace for more of the same. That's the thing about 100 yr storms, your chances of getting one is the same every year. You could get one every year for ten years and then nothing for a thousand. Gotta love statistics...

Picker??? Hey Piker... you play the guitar too? You been holdin' out on us?

Picker??? Hey Piker... you play the guitar too? You been holdin' out on us?

Oops! Sorry about that Piker. LOL! Fixed it...

In 2004 we had two hurricanes that made landfall on Sewall's Point in the county to our south, 21 days apart. The first one didn't do much visual damage other than quite a bit of rain and wind that loosened the root bases of every tree for many miles around. Three weeks later Jeanne showed up with winds of up to 130 mph and afterward there were approx. 25,000 houses with ruined roofs and living areas. I hope that does not happen to Scotland, land of my amcestors! Ten years later there are still hundreds of homes that people walked away from and the Bloodthirsty Banks have not touched except to try to sell. Sorry! I try not to talk about those days and I hope no one else ever has to go through anything like it!