Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave G.

Wow big Browns rising in the pond this morning

I finally spotted what they were on as casings floated past me and a couple of flies took off the water next to me.. About size 32 midges. Are you kidding me ! The biggest casing was maybe, maybe something you would tie on a #24 hook but 28 would be better. Now what am I gonna do ? That pond used to have larger midges in it and small little tiny blue and white somethings ( never figured out what those were, too small to bother, like #40 size). Everything is late this year , maybe the bigger midges just aren't up yet. Anyway the smallest hook I own right now is a 24. I guess I'll do a sparse thread and antron tie on those and drop tippet size. The midges are candy caned, black and white, at least that part is typical for here. I had a few reject what I was offering this morning, they sniffed and dropped away. Exciting swirls under my fly. And I had one tug on a woolie bugger but he didn't want that either really. Fussy big browns, I love it but you gotta match the hatch with big browns. I'm going back tonight and or tomorrow morning.

June should be better when the Hexes come out. I don't want to fish someplace else till I get one of those browns lol !

ok you have a good plan

TMC 501 #24, black thread candy cane stripe of white and two turns of peacock herl for a collar. That's it, the fish will love it ! Then I did a couple #20 with silver rib, the 24's actually look a tad small, could use a #22..

Small Griffith's Gnat in black and white.

Reads like you're seeing "blind mosquito" midges. They look just like mosquitoes ... but they have big fluffy antennae.

Small Griffith's Gnat in black and white.

Reads like you're seeing "blind mosquito" midges. They look just like mosquitoes ... but they have big fluffy antennae.

We have healthy populations of Chironamids here but they a usually a bit larger than these ( emergers I tie on 18's and 18-20 for Griffiths gnats, i have a pill case full of those lol !. In another pond I couldn't buy a fish if I had to and dropped town to 24's in there and bam. These midges look similar to those. Those fish in there were rainbows. But now I have an added complication, my finest tippet material is 4x presently. I can't believe those flies are so small in that particular pond. In fact by may usually in there we start moving on to Hairs ears and some watery mayflies, don't think so this year. But the fish are up though finally ! I'm headed out now, it's almost 3:00 here, that afternoon / evening hatch should start around 4, I want to watch it happen to see where they all start coming up from..

I finally spotted what they were on as casings floated past me and a couple of flies took off the water next to me.. About size 32 midges. Are you kidding me ! The biggest casing was maybe, maybe something you would tie on a #24 hook but 28 would be better. Now what am I gonna do ?

You tie a double midge pattern. Tie 2 flies on the same hook.

Here are a couple fo variations:

double-midge-larvae-01.JPG

Double-Para-Midge-7250.jpg

Double-Midge-Peacock-side.jpg

image014.jpg

dscf2682.jpg

dscf2687.jpg

Great photos, good idea !

Tonight they weren't rising at all, must be the ene wind put them down.

Double tricos are a staple pattern of some trico fly fishers. That is how I learned of double flies.

"If you’re anything like me and occasionally have trouble hooking trout on #22 dries, a Double Trico Spinner is a good change of pace from the tiny bugs. Tied on a #16 dry fly hook, the Double Trico sports two full sets of Trico bodies and wings, offering a bit of extra room for hooking fish. It has saved plenty of frustration on days when the tiny dries prove to be too difficult. And while it’s not the most imitative Trico pattern and won’t perform as well on especially persnickety fish or during sparse spinner falls, most of the time the trout don’t seem to mind the extra body on the hook, making it a great pattern for days when the fish just aren’t sticking."

http://3brothersflies.com/tag/double-trico-spinner-pattern/

"I’ll then tie on a traditional spinner dropper (often a double spinner) that rides in the surface film and looks more realistic."

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gasoline-fly-patterns/fly-fishing-the-trico-hatch/

"Double Spinner

This fly floats along under the “more is better” banner, and is also a little easier to see than a fly with a single set of spent wings. The Double Spinner has two sets of wings tied on one hook, and allows you to use slightly bigger hooks for a better shot at both hook-ups and landing the fish. Tiny hooks often end up pulling out of large fish, especially when they run through weeds.

Double Spinners at times seem to draw trout to them, and trout pick them out of a crowd of naturals—a plus during heavy spinner falls.

In flat-water scenarios, down-and-across presentations are the best presentations, showing the fly before the leader. Don’t cast beyond the trout. Just the sight of leader material, and more importantly, the surface depression and shadow it casts, spooks educated fish. Drift your fly just on your side of the trout, showing him as little leader as possible. Cautious up-and-over casts work as well, but don’t throw too much leader ahead of them. Since Trico-feeding fish may be rising every three to five seconds, just lead them by 12-18 inches. I like to cast over trout just as they rise to a natural. Their own rings and descent help mask your cast.

Pictured:

Double Trico Spinner

Hook: #16-20 standard dry fly.

Thread: Light gray 12/0.

Tail: Three medium or light dun hackle fibers.

Dubbing: Two separated dots of fine black dubbing, with gray thread showing between. Wings: White poly yarn or substitute."

http://www.flyfisherman.com/fly-tying/7-mayflyspinner-solutions/#ixzz3Yk8WKf4F

https://books.google.com/books?id=5OlRhB4gm_0C&pg=PA200&lpg=PA200&dq=double+tricos&source=bl&ots=Y6SmwUyfVz&sig=uQ7quM3yNUCIVIjwT3JLDrlhrOo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dmVBVaiRGdP4yQTBooCwDw&ved=0CFoQ6AEwDA#v=onepage&q=double%20tricos&f=false

I must say I've done my share of tandem fly fishing in rivers but on droppers or in line in rivers, not had much luck with that concept on lakes and ponds. I've never tied doubles on the same hook though. I like the double Griffiths gnat idea because here in the fall especially, the midges gang up in reproduction mode on the waters surfaces. They look like little fluff balls rolling over the water surface they get so thick at times.. And the fish go nuts. but too that's in a different pond than this one, that pond has huge midge populations compared with this one. But this one has those browns in it lol.

i saw a few larger midges in the air last night for the first time. No rising fish at all from shore to shore though. And to go to sinking line means switching out to my 6 wt which was back in the car. I opted to leave, I want one of those browns on my 5 wt, caught on a midge or at least floating line. I'm at that stage in my life where it's not if I get fish but how. I've caught many fish over my lifetime all ways. The midges are there, the fish are there, now it's timing. I'll get one eventually probably after this east wind trend settles down. I think it's supposed to be NE for the next few days, which is cold air off the bay out here.. I see a warm trend for Monday, maybe that will switch it around.

So SilverCreek, how do You fish theses doubles ? I mean you personally ? Do you tend to cast and retrieve or drift in a boat/canoe ? Only in heavy midge hatches or do a little faith fishing with them ?

I might as well tie something, today would be a good day to fish in a snow suit, that wind is right off the water, stiff and colder than the temp reads.

You fish them just like a single fly. The reason for the double fly is so you can tie them a larger hook that is stronger and more likely to hook up.

Ya I get the double fly tactic. I tied up a double bead head midge pupa. A size 12 hook seems to be pretty good for two 24 size flies on one hook with double bead heads ( 5/64 beadheads I used). I also lost the fly, my tippet let go. My fault but now I know how to tie them. Next up double Griffiths Gnats. I was fishing single Griffiths Gnats on #20 hooks tonight when the fish stopped rising. Tomorrow is another day. Looked to me tonight as though the fish were picking off single midges on the surface. We still had that stupid 12-13 MPH NE wind with related chop, so hard to tell and hard to place the fly too with it blowing right at my right front.. It's only 44 deg out too. Next week supposed to hit 70, good can't wait !