Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stabgnid

Hook Storage 3 Ring Binder Method ????

I'm thinking about putting my hooks in a D ring binder as I'm a baseball card collector to I Have plenty of 9 page sheets to spare .. I was wandering if anybody uses this method of storing hooks looking for pros & cons

Thanks

Steve-stabgnid

That may be a good idea. If they come in "envelope" packaging such as Diiachi. You could put the package in the sleeve of the page. If they come in a box like the Mustad I have purchased not so much.

If you have to take the hooks out of the package they will fall out easily and when you want them you may not be able to get to them.

My son used to have a sizeable card collection. He has pared that down to a few select players. It's now comic books, he's been doing this for 30+ years. Don't laugh, I could retired if I sold his collection.

May have to borrow your idea and some of his card sheets and see what happens.

For hooks in boxes you could transfer them to small zip lock bags.

Include in bags any info from the hook package that you would cut out with scissors.

Small zip lock bags can be found in craft stores and craft sections of big box stores.

I keep all materials in some sort of zip lock bags small & large.

That may be a good idea. If they come in "envelope" packaging such as Diiachi. You could put the package in the sleeve of the page. If they come in a box like the Mustad I have purchased not so much.

If you have to take the hooks out of the package they will fall out easily and when you want them you may not be able to get to them.

My son used to have a sizeable card collection. He has pared that down to a few select players. It's now comic books, he's been doing this for 30+ years. Don't laugh, I could retired if I sold his collection.

May have to borrow your idea and some of his card sheets and see what happens.

I down size my card collection down to Mark Grace ,Cubs team sets, Brian Urlacher

Steve-stabgind

I find the original hook packages make the best storage for hooks and there's no need to chase a better mouse trap. Keep the hooks in the original packaging and then store them in the bottom of the box that the baseball cards came in.

When I started tying, I met a tyer at a demo. He had all his materials in a 3 ring binder. He had some very large pouch like pages for bulky items. I tried his system for awhile, but it never really worked for me. It's much quicker to store and to access things in drawers or boxes, than to open a binder and page through it. I currently use a stack of shoebox size plastic drawers to store most materials.

You need a fairly large space to open the binder and page through it. I did not find this convenient. After awhile, I took the pages out of the binder and stored them in a standard office file hanging folders. This did not help that much in my setup, as the folders were not close enough, and they need to be fairly low, as I want to look down on them as I browse the pages. If you tie on a desk with a file cabinet type drawer, this could work.

Plus

• simple
  • very easy to organize
  • many tying materials will fit in pages

Minus

• Bulky - larger than putting envelopes and hook boxes in a small container or drawer
  • Requires a fairly large space to open and browse through materials.

I tried using some plastic worm binders that had those rings, similar to a 3 ring binder. They're usually a bit sturdier than office supply type 3 ring binders. But, I have so many hooks it wasn't practical for me. For some folks it may be a good way to organize & store hooks.

I do keep & carry some larger flies in the worm binders, which works well. smile.png

I use a binder with baseball card sleeve pages. It works for me. Those hooks that come in a plastic box or have packaging too large to fit get tossed in a pencil box.

One annoyance I've found is packages of larger, heavier hooks sometimes want to slide out of the page.