Fly Tying
TableGrouch

No Hackle Dry - Wings Splitting

I'm getting ready to tie some no hackle PMDs and always have trouble with the duck quill wings splitting when I tie them in. I've always tied them with the quill untreated (au natural) but have heard it can help to treat them with a spray fixative first. Has anyone tried this? I'm a little hesitant as I think it might hamper the appearance of the fly.  I'm open to any suggestions & tips. Typically I'm only tying #18-22, so rather small.  Thanks.

artists spray fixative has long been a treatment for duck and goose quills

you can also treat them with a light coating of uv resin

i dont treat wet fly quill wings. theyll eventually split anyway

19 hours ago, TableGrouch said:

I'm getting ready to tie some no hackle PMDs and always have trouble with the duck quill wings splitting when I tie them in. I've always tied them with the quill untreated (au natural) but have heard it can help to treat them with a spray fixative first. Has anyone tried this? I'm a little hesitant as I think it might hamper the appearance of the fly.  I'm open to any suggestions & tips. Typically I'm only tying #18-22, so rather small.  Thanks.

I tie a lot of winged wets but not as small as 18-22.  I'm assuming your only using the tips of the quill slip.   If so for flies that small have you tried quill slips from Starling, Woodcock or Partridge?  Just a guess here but perhaps the smaller scale would allow you to use the "choice" part of the quill and they might not want to split as easy? 

17 hours ago, flytire said:

i dont treat wet fly quill wings. theyll eventually split anyway

ditto  

I've tied size 18 and 20 no hackles for years and I lightly spray the wings with a fixative I buy at a craft store. I have found that spraying the quills light they tie in like they should. If you spray them too heavy they won't work.  I spray all the quills when I get them and let them dry  before using, make sure you have plenty of ventilation .

I agree that the wings splitting does affect the appearance of the fly.  However, in one of his videos Mike Lawson says that the wing splitting does not reduce the effectiveness of the fly.