Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Euro Nymphing for Great Lakes Steelhead

Has anyone here ever tried Euro Nymphing for Steelhead -- specifically in Michigan Great Lakes tribs? I am very curious about this technique and would like to learn it. I believe I have a good rod for it (a beautiful 10' 7 wt. from our own Steeldrifter/Midwest Custom Fly Rods :)),  now I just need someone that can show me how it's done. If anyone here could recommend a good guide service in Michigan with experience in the method--or if there are any Michigan folks here who know the method and might be willing to do a "teaching day" with me (I'm willing to pay), I'd be most interested and appreciative. 

Thanks - 

Bryon

I have not tried it and probably won't for a few reasons.

Euronymphing in its original form uses very long, very light, leaders and very ltwt, flexible rods for a direct line. free drift,  'feel' of the bottom and fish takes and the nymph presentation is close -in -- nearly at boot tops. 

None of that works for steelhead which will get spooked by invasive wading and would destroy the Euro Nymphing leaders and rods in a heartbeat.

Now you can -- and I do with success  -- nymph for steelhead but with heavier gear and out at practical casting distances.    That entails -- a conventional  6-7wt  fly line and tapered leaders with 8-10 lb tippets; a heavily weighted point fly with an unweighted nymph above it; and a sighter -- preferably a @"  fluror orange fly line segment threaded  through the leader.   Use lots of mends to let flies run deep and watch the sighter for a tick in its movement.

Byron, while I have not purposely euro nymphed for steelhead I have incidentally hooked some steeliest on my orvis 10 ft 3 wt nymphing rod. These were on a east side stream that empties into Lake Huron. When I euro nymph I use a leader as prescribed by Dom on troutbitten. I was fishing for browns in the early spring and this river is known for good brown trout fishing.  My problem was I was using 5x , not real good for some really nice steelies, but still fun for just a few seconds. Check out troutbittens website for some great info on euro nyphming. Personally for me it’s fun, but wears my old shoulders out in big hurry, I prefer swinging or stripping streamers.

Mike.