Fly Tying
Gray Ghost

Hi from Door County, WI

I am a lifelong fisherman (born 1967) and I've always been a sort of occaisional fly fisherman, when I can. I've done it in quite a few places including saltwater in the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos (caught my first bonefish at age 7, alas not on a fly), MT, WY, ID and my home territory of Door County, NE Wisconsin. Not really any trout stream fishing near me, but some good fishing in small lakes for bass and panfish and northern pike.

I am also an avid hunter of birds, small game and deer. I frequently bag geese, ducks, grouse, turkey, deer, squirrels, bunnies; you name it,  I probably have the opportunity to shoot it where I live. I have only recently realized the value of the materials that can be sourced from all those things and I have gotten better at saving tying materials from my game bag. My favorite thing to do is trade the natural tying materials that I have harvested for tied flies. I like to see what I get back for these trades -- it's fun to see what my trading partners can do.

I am just starting to get into tying for myself and so I am looking forward to learning from this forum.

Gray Ghost welcome to the forum from Connecticut. I hope you find what you're looking for here, there are a lot of experienced tiers and talent that share their techniques and creativity. Feel free to ask questions and post your flies I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as most of us.

There are two statewide meetings in Wisconsin during the spring for fly fishers and fly tyers. They have not been held recently due to covid but are scheduled to begin again when possible,

The Badger Flyfishers, an FFF organization puts on a "Spring Opener" with raffles and drawings, fly fishing vendors from all over Wisconsin, presentation, and demo fly tyers. Check this site to see when the next one will occur,

https://badgerflyfishers.org/spring-opener/

The Central Wisconsin Chapter of TU puts on "Troutfest" in Winneconne annually. Again, there are presentations, fly tying and vendors. Check this site for when the next one will occur.

https://centralwisconsintu.org/troutfest/

I demo tie at both events.

Welcome to the site!  You'll find it loaded with many fine and experienced tyers, fishers, rod builders and just good helpful folk.  I'm a born and bred central NYer with 10 more ears of life under my belt.  I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for going on 12 years now.  My swaps are open to all level/experienced tyers and they are a nice way to learn how to tie (besides classes or tying with an experienced tyer by your side. Let me know if you'd like some help.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Tight lines.

Kim