Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

First Pike flies

Well I decided to go after some pike while on up north for 2 weeks this year since I've never caught one on the fly rod. So these are my first attempts at pike flies, any critic is welcomed dunno.gif

user posted image

user posted image

SD

Thanks MTG.

heres another one I just did with a spun deer head.....I FINALLY GOT DEER HAIR SPINNING DOWN WOOOOWHHOOOOO laugh.gif wink.gif

Although this one looks like it might fool a bass more than a pike unsure.gif

user posted image

looking good SD!!!! You may want to tie a couple up with stinger hooks just in case you notice the pike are hitting but you can't get the hook set. for some reason I notice this a fair amount in the mid summer months...take some just in case.

Thanks Rouge

Whats a good size hook for a stinger ? I'm guessing smaller than the main hook? and do you just run it on a piece of heavy mono tied to the hook bend?

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jun 4 2005, 04:03 PM)
Thanks MTG.

heres another one I just did with a spun deer head.....I FINALLY GOT DEER HAIR SPINNING DOWN WOOOOWHHOOOOO laugh.gif wink.gif

Although this one looks like it might fool a bass more than a pike unsure.gif

user posted image

Lookin good. I hate, hate hate that no good deer hair. And it hates me.

I might have to make a few of those first one for Bluefish this fall. The Deer Hair ones look like they would be good for Stripers.

Nice streamers Steeldrifter.

What's the opinion of mr Pike?

I like my Pikestreamers to have a big ugly head (Spun deerhair) a lot of movement (marabou in the middle section) and flash (synthetics in the tail).

Take a look at the patterns of Karl-Heinz Kaulig (KHK's page) You have to klick the box "Bindeanleitungen" and scroll down.

Our waters are rather coloured, so the pike don't hunt on sight and that why we have to make a lot of noise and movement.

Happy Piking.

Sjo

user posted image

Sjo those are some beautiful pike flies thumbsup.gif I really like the look of the marabou flared out behind the deer hair head. When I get back from my nephews B-day party tonight I may have to give something simuliar a try. Thanks!

Steve

Nice flies Steve.

I'm in the process of tying up some pike flies myself. I think I'm going to use the red / white pattern you posted to compete with the spin fishermen using red devils. Should work great!

Thanks for sharing,

Nick