Fly Tying
BoilermakerFan

"Allow Myself to introduce Myself..."

After more than fifteen years away, I'm getting back into fishing in a big way. When I was fifteen I asked for a fly tying kit from Cabelas and my parents actually bought it for me for Christmas! I remember tying flies from library books.

Well this summer I found my old fly box and the tying kit. I have been fishing as often as I can, weather permitting this summer too. This Fall I want to start tying flies again. I posted a couple of questions on TackleUnderground and found this site. Lurked for about a week before I decided to join.

I'm pursuing largemouth and bluegill most of the time, but we have a pretty good smallmouth river about an hour away that is in my sales territory... I'm mostly interested in tying larger streamers and surface bugs, frogs, and poppers. Right now, I just have spinning gear and casting bobbers, but I'm going to take a couple of fly casting lessons and see how well I like true fly fishing before I buy a setup.

Besides the fly tying, I also made my own lures and plan to start making them again too.

Nothin wrong with that dunno.gif

But start catching fish with fly fishing tackle and you may not go back devil.gif

MuHAHAAHHAHAhahahahahahah

(May the force be with you) headbang.gif

OSD.

Welcome to the forum!!! Indiana is a great state for Smallmouth fishing and with some patience and practice you will fall in love with catching Smallies on a fly rod. headbang.gif

Hi BoilermakerFan,

Welcome to the Forum, jump right in, the waters are deep, clear, warm and inviting. The first time I ever fly fished was during a trip to southern Indiana, fishing private limestone creeks owned by the Hillenbrands, the smallies were a blast to catch, and I've been hooked ever since. I'm glad you joined us.

Graham

Graham

If you were with the Hillenbrand family, you were a lot further East than I am. Evansville is in the far, southwestern corner of Indiana where In, KY, and IL meet. The farthest East I go for business is Louisville, KY, then I go up towards Bedford, over to Vincennes, and due South to Evansville.

I'm looking forward to fly fishing. I've been infatuated with it for over twenty years since I was about ten years old. Just never had the time or finances to have an opportunity to pursue it. We have a baby boy due the beginning of October so the time will still be short, but I'm getting my 6 /2 year old daughter interested in fishing so she's my excuse to get a line wet!

I'll be ordering a Danvise from J. Stockard this month while it's on special. Christmas and birthday will be very easy for my family thisyear! I need to cull through the fly patterns on this board and start gathering new materials. Luckily there are a couple of very good fishing stores in Louisville with very large fly fishing and fly tying sections. I need hooks, head cement, tinsel and new streamer feathers. I also want to tye a few poppers too.

Hey BoilermakerFan,

I think the Danvise is the best value on the market and you will be happy with it. Buggers and poppers and dries worked well for the smallies, I've gone a few times now, usually the same week of the Indy500. It always amazes me how large some of the fish are when compared to the size of the small streams and honestly enjoyed the fishing as much as the race. Indiana is a great state.

A new son on the way, awesome, contratulations!

Graham

Hello BoilermakerFan!

Welcome to FTF. I know you will enjoy it here!

BFR

Thanks again. Can't wait for the little guy to arrive. We just want to see him and hold him. My daughter is at a great age and she's really excited about her new brother too.

I've been told the Smallies in the Blue River are really nice with a lot of large ones IF you know where to go. Luckily, one of my customers fishes for them on Blue River every year, so this Fall, I'm tagging along with him. I'll cover the cost of his flies and lunch.

Want to share the general area where these limestone creeks are? How far outside of Indy? Point me in the right direction and I'll find 'em. wink.gif

Hey BoilermakerFan,

I really have no idea what the names of the creeks are, can find out though. They were in the Battesville area, on a private estate called jawacta.

QUOTE (Blueman89 @ Aug 15 2005, 01:29 PM)
Welcome to the site. Did you get the thread title from Austin Powers?

Of course! That's still one of the funniest lines in the whole campy movie!

Graham

I was afraid you were going to say that... I was hop[ing the last time you went, you were on public land closer to Indy. Batesville is a haul for me. No easy way to get there, at least not until they finally build I-69 down to Evansville.

Boilermaker Fan, Try West Boggs Creek at Lagootee. I caught a lot of gills out of there. Go around Memorial Day and fish the fingers off the main lake. Look for the blowdowns & shady spots.

Boilermaker Fan, Try West Boggs Creek at Lagootee. I caught a lot of gills out of there. Go around Memorial Day and fish the fingers off the main lake. Look for the blowdowns & shady spots.

Thanks Joe. I'll have to see if I can sneak up there this Spring...