Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Ruger Shotguns

I have been a fan of Ruger shotguns since their first effort with the 20ga Red Label, and I still have mine I bought then brand new from that vintage. Other purchases include a 12ga Red Label factory engraved model as well as a Gold Label side by side.

This leads to the question...Why did they stop making shotguns? Anyone out there know?

Their red labels are nice. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself that's for sure. Far as why they got out of the shotgun sales, from what I heard/read it was mostly due to poor sales. In the past 10-12yrs the shotgun market has exploded with offerings from a huge variety of manufactures from overseas. It's really crazy just how many various shotguns are on the market now a days. Some of the imported ones from places such as Turkey are actually quite nice for dirt cheap. I have a couple Turkish 12g's that I paid under $300 for and they have been great guns surprisingly.

Their stuff was nice for sure, but I think it just got hard to sell a large number of guns that cost around 2K in a market saturated with so many offerings. Seems like they have been focusing on other more affordable/higher sales guns lately. One of their latest is a new PCC which from what I hear has been selling like hotcakes.

Thanks for what I'll call a very enlightening reply. I haven't been in the gun market for some time...no need. Hmmm...I wonder what I would do for a new piece today.

As a footnote to the Ruger shotgun's action. I was having a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 custom stocked by Jaeger's gun shop located in Jenkintown, PA at the time the Red Label was introduced. Apparently they were somehow involved with the design. To demonstrate the strength of the action Jaeger built a .375 H&H magnum over/under on that action. It was a thing of beauty to say the least...and the action handled those kinds of pressures and power with ease. I'd love to know where that gun is today.

Finally - Another gun shop near home had a gunsmith they worked with who was British. He refinished the stock on my 20ga Red Label for me with what he called his  British color (think best guns like Purdey or H&H) and a hand rubbed oil finish along with a leather cover over the factory recoil pad and turned a very fine looking field gun into something quite beautiful. I didn't hit any more grouse with it, but it sure was a pleasure to carry on a hunt.

George

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

He refinished the stock on my 20ga Red Label for me with what he called his  British color (think best guns like Purdey or H&H) and a hand rubbed oil finish along with a leather cover over the factory recoil pad

That sounds beautiful. I love the look of a nice sporting over/under. They just ooze class 😎  One of these days I will finally pick me up a nice O/U to do some trap shooting. My buddy I shoot with at the club does a lot of that and has been wanting me to get into it with him.

I've got a 1 of 1000 12ga. Ducks Unlimited 50th anniversary red label. She's a sure beauty. I'd pick up a SxS 20 if a I saw one. 

The 12ga DU anniversary gun is a superb O/U.
I loved my Ruger 12ga Gold Label SxS and if Ruger had made it in a 20ga I would have had one of that gauge as well.
My 20ga SxS was a Winchester Model 23. One sweet piece and a pleasure in to carry in grouse country.