Fly Tying

So there I was, looking at Steelhead patterns in anticipation of the upcoming Fall run. My daughter came by and looked over my shoulder as I was looking at an egg fly. She disappeared then came back with a big smile and a bag of little puff-balls that she had tucked away in a shoebox full of her crafting stuff.

"Can you use these to make those, Daddy?"

Well, I grabbed 4 size 12 Tiemco nymph hooks and 4 size 12 Mustad streamer hooks and tossed these samples together in a few minutes..... What do you think guys: Is it worth it to keep tying with these li'l puffballs?

Somehow it just seems too easy to be effective....

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Cheers!

Gary

Yupp I use them as well Gary. They cost about $1.50 for a pack of 6 of them at fly shops, or go to a craft store and get 10 times that for the same price blink.gif

Sure make those ELS's alot easier dont they.

SD

Just dont pass up the pink yellow and white ones use them up to! they are called pompoms at the local craft mart. And if you have not ever been to the local craft mart go asap I find all types of insperation and good deals there.

Is it worth it to continue with the puff balls ? yea they have ther place But learn to use mcfly foam you can do so much more. Here is a 5 egg fly the 4 behind the hook are tied in on braided line so they can move freely. plus you can do a mess of stuff with the blood dot.

post-2-1125284993.jpg

Hey Gary,

There is no reason those will not work. I hear some salmon are already starting to show up just West of us. It won't be long until the first full runs are in, especially if we get any remnants of Hurricane Katrina later this week.

Hopefully we get a chance to meet up on the water this Fall.

Cheers,

Nick

QUOTE (Pujic @ Aug 29 2005, 10:29 AM)
Hopefully we get a chance to meet up on the water this Fall.

Yup! You have my email and you know I'm just waiting to be able to follow you somewhere! smile.gif

So, they're already showing up? I thought I had another month to get ready. blink.gif

My Dad is coming out to visit in October and I'm making him a new Steelhead rod: I hope there's a fish or two left for him....

Thanks evertbody for the advice on the eggs: I'll get tyin'!

Cheers!

Gary