Fly Tying
skater

thread

hey guys

Just wondering whats a good cheap thread (limited funds)? I need to expand my colors to more than black. Also wondering about clear mono 6/0.

skater

As far as "cheap" thread goes, visit a local fly shop, there is often a bargin bin of threads. Just be sure you get what you actually need, the bargin stuff might be odd sizes (like rod wrapping thread) and colors. A local shop I visited recently had a basket full of Unithread and Danville tying threads for $1.00 a spool, but readily discounted when I offered to but a dozen assorted spools. Cabela's, and other mail-order/electronic catalogs, sometimes offer reduced prices if you purchase more than one spool the same color; the initial outlay might be more but the cost per spool is reduced.

I use Orvis thread, both 6/0 and 8/0. I really don't know who manufactures it, but I like it a lot, strong and easy to work with. I just buy white and if needed color it with Pantone markers.

Graham

I was going to say the same thing about white, and markers. I like 8/0 uni and 6/0 danvilles for most of my tying. I do sugesst getting 200 yrd spools. I like the clear mono thread. It is kind of tricky at first as it will wrap back to back but takes a bit to wrap it back over its self. I find if you dont keep a good tension on it it will unwrap by its self. Invisible sewing thread is simmilar. I like using the mono threads for attaching weed guards and dumbell eyes, its strong and disapears with head cement or glue. lots of other uses as well

Hook and Hackle (www.hookhack.com) had a 6/0 assortment of unithread for $9.00 12 different colors. I bought that for freshwater but for saltwater I use BIG FLY by Unithread and Kevlar. "DO NOT TRY SNAPPING KEVLAR IN YOUR FINGERS YOU WILL BLEED". I agree about the mono it does ride around as you layer it.

But for freshwater all around 6/0 Unithread.