Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RunninDetox

Whip Finisher

Here is something all of you can try, and if you can figure it out from my wording, it will save a lot of time and effort whip finishing a fly.

Take the tip of your whipfinisher and straighten it out

________________________S

It should look sorta like that.

When you whip finish a fly with it like this, you can hold the whip finisher like 3-4" away from the fly. A lot quicker this way, and an added bonus...... this works on any position of the hook shank (a little trickier the closer to base you get, but easily manageable with a little practice. For the little money it costs for a whip finisher it is worth trying this. If it works for you great, if not, you can post and I'll try and explain it a little better.

This is one of the greatest tricks I learned from a great fly tyer, hope it works for you too!

Jay

can you post a pic of the process and the modification Im not quite following the idea but I am intrested in the concept.

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at...which type of whip finisher are we talking about.

For the same money could you simply get a large sized materelli style whip finisher and accomplish the same thing?

Or for free, you can learn how to tie a whip finish with your hands, and put a whip finish anywhere on the fly. At least Lefty Kreh called it a whip finish on the fly tying video I saw. It's a piece of cake to tie by hand.

I think it pays to learn to whip finish by hand, just in case something comes up where you can't reach where you need to whip finish on a fly with a whip finisher

:wacko: Say what I just typed 10 times fast

I still use a whip finish tool for 99% of my knots though

I was forced to teach my self to hand whip I had 48 eggs that needed to go out one night. Na dmy elcheepo (i like it though)whip broke on the 2nd fly!!!!

I've seen a whip finish done by hand but for the life of me can't do it on my own. I think I need to see it in slooooow mooooe.

I've seen the tools but for the life of me can't figure out how to use them lol. I only know how to whip finish by hand.