Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ashby

Brown Hackle Peacock

The first version I saw, used red wool for tag and hen hackle, another used golden pheasant tippets, another had red floss butt, one version was heavily hackled as a dry, soft hackle no tail; same things tied with dun or grizzly or partridge, wets/soft versions tied with lead under

The link to Sage590's fly has no instructions beyond the photo- http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern2750.html

for more you can scroll down here- https://donbastianwetflies.com/tag/brown-hackle/

Howdy! Been off longer than I care to remember. The fly can be made in a variety of ways. I was shown this fly when I first started fishing here in SE Tennessee. A member of the local TU chapter showed me how to tie it. He used red feathers but i found the feathers were brittle. I "borrowed" some red yarn from the wife's craft inventory. I just use a bit as a tail. Don also fishes it with grey hackle as a dry fly curing certain hatches. Can't remember what for now. He also started to overwrap the herl with thread so it lasts a bit longer after getting chewed by several trout.

Know this thread is ancient but flies and fish have no calendar.

One of the first flies I ever fished, but, with a red hackle tail. And the Grey Hackle peacock, also with red tail. Lance Egan's Red Dart reminds me a lot of that fly, a new version.

The Brown Hackle along with the Gray Hackle Yellow, was a staple in most western fly boxes in my early years of fly fishing in the 50s and 60s. Still carry some to this day, which speaks to their effectiveness.

I have tied them in many different variations red tail, brown tail, no tail, red tag, gold tip full and sparse hackles, you name it.

post-12074-0-59759900-1559957308_thumb.jpg

Since I really like fishing emerging patterns, I even have a Brown Hackle Emerging pattern. This one uses turkey tail for the brown parts.

post-12074-0-68716100-1559957319_thumb.jpg