Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Toluene

I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get some toluene, or if there is a similar product that mat be readily available to the consumer, thanks

Hello All,

Depending on where you live, Toluene may or may not be available. In some states (such as California) it is listed as a haz mat and cannot be purchased over the counter by the general public. It is most commonly used as a paint thinner and stripper and proper ventilation is a must. Your best bet to find Toluene would be in the paint section of your local hardware store. If they don't have it, then head over to a specialty paint store, like Sherwin Williams. It is also worth pointing out that Xylene can also be used instead of Toluene.

hope this helps!

Keep it deep,

Whippersnapper

Hah...you can also put a few gallons of Toluene in your car for a "real" octane boost ;) My turbo Subaru loves it!

Hi Joe,

I get PARKS Lacquer Thinner at ACE Harware here in Boise. I has several ingredients I can't pronounce but the 5th ingredient is "Toluene CAS#108-88-3." It's not pure Toluene but it thins everything I have wanted it for. Good luck & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

So this is real bad stuff? I have heard about it as thinner and have mixed up some wild colours of nail polish, disgusting really. but great for flies. The first ingredient listed on the bottle is toluene. Is there any thing safer or more readily available to thin and mix different colours of nail polish? I have added thinned clear head cement and head cement thinner, but it just seems to float on top and wont mix in.

Good Day,

Its all chemistry... certain thinners and or solvents will only work with those items that are of a similar chemical nature or structure. If it is made with toluene, use toluene to thin... Most of the time if you use something that doesn't mix you will not have a volitile chemical reaction, but why take the chance? IE - although both clean well, would you mix bleach and ammonia? I certainly hope not! Or - Would you try to thin oil paint with water? :blink:

Steelie

To Joe hard

I see you're from Nova Scotia. Home Hardware carries Toluene in thneir paint section. Cost about $ 7.50 for a can, about the same cost as Acetone, a little more than lacquer thinner. Can is the same size as acetone.

Toluene is nasty stuff, it's based on a Benzene ring structure and is a proven carcinagen. I would look for a more user friendly substitute.

I still say nail polish thinner is your best bet. It is probably just acetone. I really don't know all that much about nail polish, per se, but I do know enough about Toulene.

I do custom woodworking for a living and very rarely do I ever have to resort to Toulene and I'm talking about industrial finishes. I find hard to believe that you won't find a less volatile chemical to reduce nail polish.

Buy a small bottle of the nail polish thinner, or better yet plain acetone, it will cost less and I am positive it will work. Stay away from Toulene, even laquer thinner for that matter, it is loaded with methylene chloride, a known carcinagen as stated previously, and will stink up your whole house. Acetone will dissapate quickly, it won't stink up the house and probably won't effect drying time all that much. Not to mention it is a much milder chemical (women soak thier hands in the stuff)

Good Day,

Most nail polish remover does contain acetone, however, it is all the other stuff in most nail polish remover that renders it not very useful for thinning things like softex or plasti-dip. Like so many things, just be careful take the propper precautions and you will be fine using solvents like toluene. In fact, I have a large industrial air cleaner in my tying area that I got for an absolute steal! It removes almost everything! Moves 500 cubit feet per minute and captures particles as small as 20 microns! (Usually goes for $200+ but I got it for $20 new!) Even so, I will open the window a bit if using solvents for any extended period of time.

Steelie

Why go through the trouble of taking necessary precautions if precautions aren't necessary.

If I am trying to thin nail polish....I would try nail polish thinner.(acetone)

I am not trying to be an a$$ here. It just seems to me to be a good place to start.

Good Day,

Jeff, couldn't agree more actually. Simply stated, use what thinner or solvent is most suitable chemically for the particular item in question. Polish remover for nail polish, toluene for softex, linseed oil for oil paint, etc.

Steelie