Fly Tying
AlG

Ever have one you tie

This is my first of this style at this size

IPB Image

and i don't think i'll be doing another anytime soon....gave me a damn headache <_<

But as always....criticism is welcome :D

When tying a difficult pattern, break it down into sections as you go, and do a section at a time, thinking how that section ties into the next section. Should make it easier for you. I think if you tied some more of em you'd find that is a fairly easy pattern, and the techniques are the same for a lot of other flys as well. Not a bad looking fly though. I'd fish it. Might add a tail to it though.

I really like the background, adds personality to the fly.

Good lookin fly! Keeping those wings from splitting (un-marying into individual fibers) is what always gets me messed up.

It might sit a little low with the tail that short. I find golden pheasant tippet to be a little weak at any time for a dry. If it was my fly I'd show someone and call it a coachman emerger!

It'll catch fish that's for sure!

Good job. :headbang:

Thanks guys :D

Gregg A, the baige spot behind the hurl is the pheasant tail, tail.....it kind of blended with the body in the pic (had to blow up the pic a bit to show detail, but it's on a 16 hook....i think) :P

Easy one Copper John Bead Head Nymph Id rather chew off my fingers.

Dave

I've tried tying a few of those. I couldn't get the copper wire to lay right or keep from breaking for the life of me. I'll eventually make a few more attempts, but I'd almost rather buy the freaking things. It's not like I fish a lot of tiny nymphs anyways. Even for trout. The river I fish, they'll smack a baitfish pattern anytime.

UGH!!! THE WOOLY WORM!!! I have tyed those things till it seemed my fingers would bleed at any time. If they diddn't produce the fish they do i would never tie one again :cursing:

They are easy cheasy but so boring after the first 100 ya tie :wallbash: -jason

On that note i wouldnt have to tie so many if that old man of mine would use a slower action rod. He whips that fast action rod so hard he blows them up after a few casts. I can tye one on and make it last for hours on end ( or till catch a few fish ).

P.S. If noone could tell i have been tying wollys for a week now :crazy: Sorry for the xtra long post...reading this gave me a bad flashback :help:

Anything with spun deer hair :lol: After I did my first one I said I would never do it again. I actually didnt for about five or six years then I tried it again and it got a bit easier so now I tie a few dozen spun flies each summer.

Prince Nymphs, HATE 'EM! I can't get the tails to look right, can't get the horns to lay right. I tie them and fish them cause they catch fish. But they're no fun for me.

Caddisfly

La Fontaine's Halo Midge Emerger. Trying to figure eight tie that wisp of closed cell foam for the wing pads and then the orange deer hair on top of them sticking over the eye, impossible for me in size 20 and smaller. Drives me to drink.

Hmmm.........think I'll try to tie one now!! :cheers:

Joe