Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

Midges in AR

I know theres many many many midges out there, but can anyone give me some names of popular midges that we have here in Arkansas. What does the zebra midge represent?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this B)

Jarrod

Jarrod... I'm not an entomologist by any means, but I know .. at least I've been told by a well known guide .. there is a bloodworm and I have been on the Little Red and have seen cream, black and olive midges all coming off at the same time. There are smaller BWO's also coming off now fairly consistently. I usually fish a midge pattern called a Copper Head. It's a copper colored tungsten bead, Danville brown thread and copper colored Uni-wire. I also use a pattern with the same thread, a black tungsten bead and black uni-wire. Midging is about all I do anymore. I have a 2 and 3WT that I normally use 6X but sometimes 7X or 8X tippet. My "standard" rod though is a 9' 4WT and 6 or 7X and 16's-22's. My best fish so far is a 22" brown on the brown thread midge caught on the Norfork. You can try Yong Specials, RS2's, disco midges and a few other patterns. IM me if you want some patterns.

Mike

I know theres many many many midges out there, but can anyone give me some names of popular midges that we have here in Arkansas. What does the zebra midge represent?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this B)

Jarrod

Jarrod-

The Zebra Midge pattern is a representation of the pupal life stage of the Chironomidae family of True Flies (Diptera). The larval life stage is much more worm-like in appearance. You can see that by looking at the respective life stages of family Chironomidae on this web page.

Jarrod,

There's a website that give a lot of midge patterns that work for the White river system, especially in southern mo and northern AK.

www.ozarkanglers.com

Conehead

Jarrod... I went out yesterday on the Little Red and tried a new variation of one of the patterns I mentioned earlier. I used the brown thread midge with the Danville brown thread, black uni-wire and a nickel plated tungsten bead. I got a nice brown of 20+". I got a few more fish on it before they turned off of it completely. But Conehead is right. The Ozark Anglers site has a ton of information on it.

Mike