Fly Tying
mb82

chenille instead of dubbing

I have a streamer that I tie for various fish that uses rabbit dubbing for the body. Whats if any the best Chenille to replace it? I don't mind the dubbing but I would rather use chenille because it is more uniform for me and quicker to tie with. Or would some kind of floss work?

In my opinion You are better off with dubbing. I Know that rabbit sometimes can take a bit of patience maybe a different dubbing???? I am going to go to 100% dubbing for all of my production flies as soon as I use up all of my chenille. I think it is faster plus I can be more accurate in where and how thick I make it. Plus IMHO you get a much nicer looking fly. Plus I can mix dubbing to add flash or color. But if you are looking for a yarn try Mohair yarn or leach yarn. I think it is made by uni.

Hi Jeff,

Chenille of a similar color could be used on streamers. Also, standard knitting yarn can make some real nice bodies on streamers as well. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Exactly which streamer is it mb82?

It is Jeffs killer crappie fly. I was supposed to enter it into the crappie swap but I ran out of time. I finally am getting around to tieing a bunch up for this season.

Really I think it is a copy of another streamer. Basicly flashaboo tail gray body back bucktail wing with black thread, very simple yet extremly effective. I had a few crappie come from 6ft of water and jump out of the water because of the momentum they had trying to hit it last season.

I've gone to ostrich herl in place of chenille on most of my flies. Tie in a clump of 3 to 5, twist and palmer. The fibers give it some life too.