Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
en4cer

changing materials

Hey guys,

I'm still new at this shared addiction of ours.....I been tying "as per instructions" and was mondering who many of you different materials then what's regualar to the fly you're tying i.e. (keeping it simple)....when tying the hares ear nymph I've used red pheasant tail for the tail or even brown goose biots......question ??? am I simply wasting my time or variations is a norm ???

No not at all bud,thats the best part of fly tying is to come up with your own "special" variation,but remeber that you havent come up with a new fly just because you use a different material.

Not that you said that but just some guys are picky about that stuff so just letting you know wink.gif

Let us know and maybe some pics of your variations....welcome to the site

SD

I'd have to agree. Nearly every fly I tie has some sort of twist or variation added. Sometimes due to material outages, sometimes due to my own creativity. The thing to remember is that there are no limitations when tying flies. Anything you can dream up can be created, and chances are it will catch fish!

The only time I ever consistently adhere to a pattern is when tying for competitions, etc...

Variation is the norm; when I'm teaching, I plan to have the materials as per the pattern because someone may wonder why it's being done differently than what they read, researched or whatever- so I have a ton of stuff that can be cross referenced to all different patterns. Sometimes, when tieing something like a hairwing salmon fly, you want different action in the wing or throat or tail- so, you use marabou, or bear hair, or squirrel or rabbit- you can create the same pattern style in the same colors as a published method states- you don't have to do it the same way all the time!

Welcome Aboard, Good Luck and Good Tieing!

Well aboard!

I'll change things if I'm short of materials or not got.Sometimes I'll change something if I think it will make an improvement.

Many materials can be subtituted with others because they are near enough the same.(Just take a look in the fly shop how much looks the same or nearly.)

Hello!

When you change materials it's mandatory to slightly change the fly name and claim it as your own design ohmy.gif

J/K

biggrin.gif

I have a ton of materials, but I by no means have everything to tie everyfly I come across, so color subs, material subs are somewhat common. The fish likely won't know the difference in most cases, but there are people who will. dry.gif I don't think that you would be wasting your time while tying anything ever. It makes you happy, keeps you out of trouble (wives are the exception) and you have meet a ton of cool people here at this forum, and others you visit. And the other few people that are here, you'll just need to deal with it. laugh.gif

I think everybody uses some artistic license when tying flies for themselves. If you're tying flies for a customer, I think you should follow the recipe as closely as possible. Or if you're trying to duplicate a classic fly for display, you should use what is called for unless, of course, the materials are unavailable or illegal.