Fly Tying
vtflyhack

Get the lead out

I have been wondering what people think about lead products? Do people make an effort to avoid buying any tying material that contains lead and find substitutes? I personally have switched over to lead free tying material. Just wondering what others think?

I do the same, especially since many waters now ban the use of lead products. Check your state's angling regulations to be sure about this.

I still use it. I don't have a problem switching if I have to, but lead free products are not always readily avaliable at every shop so I still use lead when that's all they have.

Unleaded gas, lead free paint, non lead shot gun shot, now lead free fishing. I'd be all for it if I could find a decent substitute. I use it when I can find it, but lead is still predominate around here.

Good Day,

It is still legal in Michigan from a fishing perspective. Of course, illegal as shot for hunting. :dunno: O.K. for one but not the other?

Anyway, There are a great many options. Certainly there are lead free split shot. Sinking lines in so many options it is silly. Then there is copper wire, no-lead cone and bead heads. Tungsten sheets. Etc. Etc.

Once in great while I might use lead. But for the most part I use other options as mentioned previously. It all started years ago whe I was tying flies for a trip to New Zealand. On many of the rivers I wanted to fish, lead was illegal. So the process began of looking for alternate materials. For my local waters however, many of the flies i tie are not weighted as many of our streams are not that deep. A few shot on the line when needed are a lot more time saving than having to constantly tie new flies on for different depths. On the other hand, indie rigging can help with this too. But that is another subject.

Steelie

My thoughts are the exact same as your steeldrifter. When I can avoid using it I can otherwise if that is all that is readily available I go with it.

I personally use lead zonker strips and wire. But for beads and eyes I use brass. Here in NY lead is legal except split shots have to be substituted. They say the fish and birds can mistaken lead shot for food so they are illegal. I personally use what ever is convenient to me at the time.

-Sam

I don't know are we shooting ourselves in the foot by not using lead subtitutes? Lead is lead either shot from bird shells or fishing products.

I still use lead and until they make tungsten at a decent price I always will. I still know some ol boys that carry around lead like a pinch of skoal and they arent too crazy yet.

I like tungsten but use whatever is available. I'm beginning to wonder what the deal truly is with lead. I just bought a wallet type keeper for my safety pin style spinner baits and there's a lead warning on it! The only metal is the eyelets which hold th eplastic pouches, and the rest si plastic. Ovekill?

Just a weird observation but, how come so many people are walking around with bullets or shotgun pellets still in them from being shot? The guy V.P. Cheney shot is a recent example. :bugeyes:

As far as weight on the fly I still use lead wire, i've not seen a sub here for that yet. I guess if I came across it I would use it without a question. For now though I only have lead.

Ashby

Here it's legal, if you already have it, to use it, but you can't buy or sell it, and you can't ship it in from out of state. The problem is that no one really knows what the effects are of using it, because every environmental study made in the last thirty years have been funded by groups on both sides that have something to gain from these studies turning out in a particular manner. Not very scientific. I know lead poisoning in people can be something you could live with your entire life and never know you had, and on the other hand, some of the effects can be extremely unpleasant as you get older. Me and my buddies used to keep split shot in our mouths while we were fishing, and I haven't really noticed any health problems stemming from it. However, I'd rather not take chances if lead can diminish procreation rates in fish and wildlife.