Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
backstroker

how do u attach the fly line to the leader?

ok the title probably gives it away.... i broke the leader off the fly line... :help: somebody save me goin back to kick some more gills fin tomorrow.

SOunds like he tied a nail knot. It is basically this: you take a nail parallel to the line, then wrap the leader around the line 7 to 8 tiems. The pass the line through the gap and tighten. It probably sounds a little confusing, just look it up on google.

If you want to tie a nail knot, I use a bobbin threader instead of a nail. Just put the end of your leader in the threader and it pulls it right through. I always had so much trouble working that end of the line through without losing my loops.

I've actually gone to a perfection loop to loop. Much easier to change leaders on the go.

I too use a Perfection Loop except that I have a tag of 20-30 lb mono on the end of my fly line that is Nail Knotted to the fly line and has a loop on the end.

Brian

I tied my first nail knot last night... took me a dozen or so tries before it worked right..... used it to put a short chunk of strong braided line on the end of my floating line to do the perfection loop in for connecting leaders.

I saw at the store the other day some premade things you just melt (or something) into your line and it has the leader loop already in it. $5 for a couple of them. About my 9th try at the nail knot, I was wishing I'd spent that $5 but it was satisfying to get it done on my own.

personally i prefer braided loops for quick easy changes between normal mono and florocarbor ( mono for dries florocarbon for wets and nymphs etc)