Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Deer hair....Oh how I HATE THEE!

If there's one material I HATE working with it's deer hair. Deer hair and I dont like each other....let me rephrase that. Deer hair and I are Mortal Enemies :angry:

It seems every year though in the spring I always get a bug up my :butt: to give it another try :wallbash:

Well here's tonights effort.

:dunno:

IPB Image

I was like that. Pack it tighter, pack it as tight as you can get it and then pack it twice as hard. I have bent more hooks tieing deerhair then I want to count.

Seriously I learned two things recently. 1. Use good hair. 2. Use the right techniques. When I learned that things got 100% better and much easier!

Did you use a razor blade for the trimming? That is what gives the nice smooth look to the hair.

It may not be pretty but I bet it would catch fish!!!!

I think your fly looks really nice. If you didnt want the head to look a little wild I actually think it makes the pattern look great. I bet the action will be good.

But if you want to get the heads tight, which I suspect you are shootin for, I strongly urge you to contact Chris Helm at Whitetail Flytying Supplies. If I could show you a deer hair pattern I tied just prior to contacting Chris and then after gettin his DVD on tying, buying some gelspun thread, a heavy duty bobbin, a good pair of scissors and the brassy hair packer well you would be amazed.

The latest Flyfishing magazine has an article by Chris about deer too, its a good read.

I was thinking of getting a hair packer. I've never used one though, are they all pretty much the same, or is there one that is better than another?

What size thread do you guys usually use as well? I used 3/0 on this one, too light?

Deer hair was a real problem for me early on but once i learned how tight i needed to pack it it was a cinch. I have never used a hair packer, i do fine using my hands.

just make sure you clamp your vise down on the hook as hard as you can because when i don't i force the hook to towards tha back and out of the jaws.

1. Use good hair.

Will, how do you know if your buying good deer hair :dunno: I've never seen it "graded" like other materials. Are certian parts of the deer better than others? or certian brands better than another? What do you look for in good deer hair?

honestly I just let Helm pick it out for me! :lol:

The dyed stuff that he sells is Nature's Spirit which I have never seen in any shops. I don't believe it is actually tanned and it does feel much different than a tanned hide. It seems stiffer and maybe a little thinner. When I didn't have a certain color of that stuff I tried using my old stuff and I could tell a big difference. :dunno:

Steve... I can't remember where I saw it, but there was something online that Chris wrote that broke down an entire hide. He identified which part of the body can be used for each type pattern. His prices aren't bad either. I'm typing this without looking at the link Will gave you. The article may be in that link. As far as thread... I have some Kevlar, GSP and 3/0 but I'd probably just ask Chris what he recommends there too.

Mike

Thanks guys. I just checked out Chris's site and I think I'll give him a buzz monday after I get back from fishing and have him pick out some hair for me based on what I am tying.