Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pastor Bill

Trimming Popper Legs

Hey I was rippin' it up with the old fly rod yesterday evening. I caught a few nice bass and piles of big bream.

I was using a technique I discovered quite by accident a few years ago. I was throwing a small popper with rubber legs. What I did before fishing the fly was to trim the legs on one side of the fly down by a third.

When hauling line the inequality in the length of the legs causes the fly to spin in the air thus winding up the tippet. Once the fly lands in the water it just sits there and rolls over and over. It really looks lifelike and the fish can't stand it.

Using this method I more than double my catch.

Just wondering if anyone else does this?

Bill

Thats a crazy idea. I'll have to try it ASAP. Are you doing this with balsa poppers, or deer hair poppers?

Balsa poppers. I use the ones you buy already tied because its cheaper in the long run.

Bill

:yahoo: Pastor Bill - I could kiss you (I won't).

Last year I had one popper that would often light on it's back - then slowly roll over. As you said, it drove the 'gills *bonkers*. I never could figure out why it did it. :wallbash: I'll bet the legs are shorter on one side. Bet I know for sure before the day's over. B)

thnx..gm

Nobody else was, but I guarantee you that everyone else soon will.

That's just too awesome... any suggestion on tippet size and length to make it work best?

Nobody else was, but I guarantee you that everyone else soon will.

That's just too awesome... any suggestion on tippet size and length to make it work best?

You know on my small fly rod that I use for gills I don't even have a traditional tippet. I just tie on a 7 foot length of 8 pound mono. Stren Lo Vis Clear.

Bill

Hi Bill,

What a great idea. I'll have to try that real soon. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I also want to say thanks for sharing... very generous of you.

A lot of people (and I can't fault them) like to keep their best "invented" fishing techniques a secret.

You're a good man!

I also want to say thanks for sharing... very generous of you.

A lot of people (and I can't fault them) like to keep their best "invented" fishing techniques a secret.

You're a good man!

Well I keep my honey holes a secret. The techniques won't help you if you can't find my secret spots. :D

Bill

I noticed that on an elk hair caddis I was fishing, I thought it might be helpful, as caddis dance on the water, but unfortunately, i wasnt having any luck anyway.

I think the key would be tu use a stiff enough tippet (4-6lb test) and not one overly light, since it would cause more problems than it was worth.

Joe

I noticed that on an elk hair caddis I was fishing, I thought it might be helpful, as caddis dance on the water, but unfortunately, i wasnt having any luck anyway.

I think the key would be tu use a stiff enough tippet (4-6lb test) and not one overly light, since it would cause more problems than it was worth.

Joe

Yeah that has been my experience as well. It also helps to strip enough slack out of the line to straighten the tippet. This causes maximum spinnage. (not to be confused with the green salad ingredient)

Well actually today is my day off so I have my 10' Jon in the truck and I am off to Harrison Lake to fish the noon day-twilight part of the day. It is overcast today so I am hoping the lunkers will be adventurous.

Bye

Bill

I've done similar things with small brim poppers. They can't resist it when a poper twists the leader and then you cast it out there and it just sits and spins. I usually get a fish just before it would stop. Unfortunately, the place I usually go to do my brim fishing is still closed due to hurricane damage. It is supposed to reopen next month though.

Mark Delaney