Fly Tying
Redwings1

Yet another soft craw...

Got back to some newer styles for tonights tying. When I stopped in at the shop yesterday I saw a great soft craw pattern that is based off Barry Reynolds 'Barry's Carp Fly'. Here are a few I tied up tonight.

IPB Image

It is tied on an egg hook or a short shank wet fly hook with th rabbit being tied all the way back in to the bend a little bit so that the 'claws' will always angle slightly up.

These should do very well on smallies, carp, gills, and trout right about this time of year :headbang:

I have been waiting foir this fly!!! So what size egg hook?? you said it was on a egg hook in your pm so I went and grabbed one sz 4 mustad that is small!!!!!

Sweet! It also combines some of the features/style of the Clouser Swimming nymph and a hares ear nymph. Great looking set of flies. Sure to be a fish catcher.

That is a very effective looking pattern, are the barbell eyes for the weight? I also like the egg hook concept for the angle.

These were actualy tied on size 6 wet fly hooks instead of egg hooks as I did not have size 4 egg hooks. The weight is all in the bead chain eyes, the other set of eyes is just black mono eyes.

Nice pattern, let us know how they work out for you. Im interested to see the size of the smallies you catch on these bad boys.

Any place that craws are and are molting then these will work great on even the biggest fish. This time of year they are just gorging themselves on all the little defenseless craws that they can; I have fished many other small craw patterns and done very well so I expect these to perform as well. To be honest...what I am really interested in this pattern for is carp due to the large wire gauge of the hook; I should not have to worry about the hook bending...only my knots breaking :rolleyes:

I will certainly keep you guys up to date once I get these wet :headbang:

Ok, rookie question. How did you do the body and claws? My guess is rabbit in a dubbing loop :dunno: , but I've never done that so I really don't know.

Thanks,

Terry

The claws are just small bunch of rabbit (I just use the fur off of strips) tied in on the shank and then farther back in to the bend to force the claws in an upward position in the water. The body is rabbit dubbing in spun in a dubbing loop and then wrapped to the body size and shape desired. Just behind the mono eyes I tie in the rubber legs (with dubbed thread) and then the soft hackle is tied in between the mono and bead chain eyes.

The claws are just small bunch of rabbit (I just use the fur off of strips) tied in on the shank and then farther back in to the bend to force the claws in an upward position in the water. The body is rabbit dubbing in spun in a dubbing loop and then wrapped to the body size and shape desired. Just behind the mono eyes I tie in the rubber legs (with dubbed thread) and then the soft hackle is tied in between the mono and bead chain eyes.

Cool. Thanks, Mike. Now I'm off to learn how to do a dubbing loop....