Fly Tying
colbyjack

outdoor scenery today

Never seen a gull like that either. Looks like a fun place Graham. I'm with you guys about a waterproof. Seems like the proper thing to have for a fisherman.

This may sound like a stupid question but are those dolphin's or porpoises? I know there is a species of fish that are also called dolphins, and got into a heated dispute one time with my friends teenage kids. I showed them the species of fish that were being caught in a Fly Fisherman magazine. You probably know the species I mean, might of even caught the article. But are there dolphins as the fish I am talking about, dolphins as in the above pics and a separate species called porpoise?

Great photos, I am getting anxious to do some picture taking. I am laid off all winter and have a few places I would like to scout out. Sort of like just before fishing season opens.

Daryn, the mahi mahi or dorado (fish) is also known as a dolphin - they don't usually come up your way, but we see them offshore in Southern New England in late summer - they come up on the Gulf Stream and drift in (sometimes really close to shore) when the water warms up. Great fly fishing fish if you have a big enough boat to go after them. Graham's animal looks like some kind of Pacific dolphin. (same name, but it's a mammal) Porpoises are similar, but are generally smaller than dolphins. I could be wrong, but it I think I read somewhere that killer whales are actually dolphins. Good animal to avoid when swimming, regardless of their family background. Looking forward to some of your winter pix.

Thanks Peter I could just imagine trying to tell those kids that a killer wale is a dolphin. We just got belted with a good storm. When its over I am planning a stroll to a small stream with my camera.

Holy smokes, its not everyday you get a big gun pointed at you. Is that ever nice. May I ask what you do with that, and would you mind coming up here with it? You see there is a couple people that owe me a lot of money........Just kidding, the old dog looks to be coming around a bit.

Here are two from the trip that my wife and i took to the Cayman Islands earlier this week.

post-1597-1165672248_thumb.jpg

post-1597-1165672260_thumb.jpg

Crotalus the Cayman do look great.

Is that 2 fish swimming in the left side of

the pic.?

regards Tcr

2 weeks to Crismas the weather is stil

great for fishing in Denmark

Todaypost-4230-1165690784_thumb.jpgpost-4230-1165690834_thumb.jpgpost-4230-1165690876_thumb.jpg

hehehe thats my new coyote gun, im wrapping it today to go under the tree.

pup got his cast off today, so maybe we can get him back out this year to hunt. -chris

man Tcr you are a fish catchin machine!!! As always great fish and thanks for the inclusion of the fly you used.

Good luck with the ?223? colby. I used to call them in with a small reed call when i was younger (i'm still pretty young ;)

Matt P . That is one beautifull fish!! Is it a cutthroat? I love the drawing. What a great talent. Do you often draw fish that catch your eye like that? It realy looks like the fish. and what amazed me is that the picture acctualy captures the many colors of that fish. (the photograph)

Thanks. yeah, I first started doing charcoals, in black and white, mainly of landscapes and stuff with the river and all, or copying a picture I find here or there. then my mom got me some prismacolors, and I started doing some fish. the actual one I drew is here, but the picture robs it of it colors, it was an extrememly beautiful fish. I'm not sure but I think that it is a cutbow or a westslope. Not sure though.

IPB Image

very nice. It is hard sometimes to get those wounderful colors on film, but with a drawing or painting you can inclued all that you see. very cool.