Fly Tying
Graham

Stalking Dragonflies

Wow, thank you guys, my face feels a bit warm and flushed, you're making me blush. I really don't think my photos are ready to be submitted to magazines, yet....

Graham

You might be surprised what kind of markets are available for photographs. Checkout a book called Photographer's Market. It is just a bunch of listings of magazines, greeting card companies and other businesses that use a lot of photography. Payment varies quite a bit some newer and smaller magazines pay with copies of the magazine and others pay very well. The book includes a few guidelines on how to get organized for selling to magazines and the magazines will mostly include how they want photos submitted. I look through the book and find magazines I think I caneither shoot photos for, or all ready have photos I could submit. I then send them a letter asking for a more detailed photo guidelines list and any upcoming needs they may have. After that I decide whether or not to send photos.

The 2007 Photographer's Market comes out in November so you might want to wait for the new one. Hit a bookstore though and glance through the 2006 edition and you will surprised what kind of photos there is a need for.

If this is something you want to do get in a habit of getting scientific names of plants and animals you photograph if you can, and get a model release for any recognisable people you photograph. You don't have to have these things to sell to some magazines but for others you do. So it you get in the habit of keeping notes and getting releases you have a better chance of selling photos.

The book comes with a sample model release and some other forms.

Thanks guys, thanks a lot, your friendship here means a lot to me and makes me feel very happy. I’m very grateful for the advice and help from the more experienced photographers here on the forum. And thank you Kargen for the marketing suggestions and advice, very informative and interesting. My favorite story about a rookie photographer raking in big bucks was the guy in Dallas, who noticed after big rain storms a local parking lot would flood and a reflection of the city skyline could be seen reflecting on the waters surface. He took an incredible night shot of the city skyline with a perfect reflection in the water. He sent a copy of the photo to Buckingham Palace, White House, and other distinguished places. He then copied the replies which came on cool leatherheads, like the palace and white house, printed and framed numerous copies of his city photo, rented a porta-stall, set up shop in the Dallas airport, and sold over $250,000 worth of copies in the first four months. Anyway, it’s my understanding that the money to be made in photography is more about who you know and marketing than it is about the quality of the shot. For me, the enjoyment of being in the outdoors seeking things worthy of capturing on a photo is priceless.

Cheers,

Graham

My realistic orange dragonfly is starting to look good... Should be finished tonight. Hopefully tomorrow or Wed will find me back on the water, seeking a killer shot.. I've never been so excited to tye a fly before, or looking forward to going outside with my camera. I feel kind of invigorated. Maybe some orange Oct caddis will be fun in the Sierra next month.

One thing I like about the pic below is the dragonflies eye is in the shade while the rest of the fly is in the sun. The eye was shaded by the wing of my fake fly and there is no highlight blowout like the other shots.

IPB Image

Nice shot Graham - I'd definitely frame that one and hang it up - I certainly don't want to discourage anybody, but on the subject of money, an artists' agent in Portland, Maine's first words to me were: "you know, nobody makes a living doing this." She wasn't 100% right, but she wasn't far off either. There is some money out there, but it goes to the people who are willing to work like dogs and who are good at self-promotion. There's also the problem of an irregular income. A friend of mine sold a triptych (three prints hung together to form a single landscape) a couple of years ago and made more than enough to pay for a vacation in Ireland for him and his wife, but sales like that are rare. He's one of the very best, but he still has to rely on teaching for the bulk of his income. The only people who make big money are very well known and have paid their dues (or have ridden a gimmick, like Annie Leibowitz) for a lot of years, and the competition for big-time gigs is ferocious. Guess I'm rambling, but my point is, you've gotta do it because you love it - take it from one who's been there, the money end of it sucks.

Hey Peterjay, I truly appreicate your knowledgable perspective, thank you. I do it for the enjoyment, just like fly tying and fishing. I know what you mean about lucky shots. A guy I know took a pic of a baby being dropped from a balcony into the arms of a fireman below, during a house fire. He got $50k for that shot.

Hey colbyjack, thanks buddy!

And down2earthlv, I'm sure our paths will cross, hopefully sooner rather than later. I like the lower Owens in the winter but usually head a couple more hours north to the E. Walker when the season is open. We'll have to keep in touch because if I'm heading up into the Sierra when you're there, I'll have to wet a line with you. If I don't wet my throat with too many beer's I'll probably drive north while its still light out. I'll likely also stop at Mono Lake to take some photos on the way up.

I was hoping to get some time this week to visit my dragonfly hole, but it looks like next week will fit my schedule better. I did tye an orange dragonfly to take with me on my next visit....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey Fred, I do occasionally catch fish,here's a few pics.... This weekend I want to redo the hobby section of my website, make it easier to navigate and add a photography section...

Hey Bart, Awesome dragonfly photos!!!! I'm wondering what ISO setting you typically set your camera at for taking these types of shots? I'm still a newbie and stuggled getting my shots in focus the other day, mostly due to a steady breeze. It didn't occur to me until later that day that I could have bumped up my ISO from 100 to get a faster shutter speed. I try to avoid using flash if possible. I'm enjoying the learing process and taking a lot of notes when I make mistakes or figure out something that works.

I'm glad you joined the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graham