Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

Do you like your bench?

I use an old roll top desk. I love it because it has all kinds of small cubbies to store what your using most. It has lots of drawer space to hold plastic storage boxes. The best thing though is that you just pull the top down and there is no clutter to look at. This way the wife is happy and the kids don't mess with it. :headbang:

Yup I love mine. Easy to find materials and lots of surface area which is a huge plus. It wasn't always like this though. I tied for a good number of years on a 20" x 16" fold up snack TV tray. Then one year I just got sick of it and decided to make a dedicated area for tying.

IPB Image

steeldrifter -- you were supposed to show us a picture of your fly tying bench... not the local fly tying shop.

Wow, you have a lot of materials!

I've changed this around quite a bit since this picture was taken. My tying desk is about 50 years old or more, it was a study desk that my grandfather made for my uncles and mom to do their homework on, the eldest of them is 60 years old now. It's got six big drawers to hold materials, it's beat up, and been moved around with me for almost 15 years now. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

If I get another desk one day I'll still keep this one for sure.

Second picture is my dream desk. It would be made of Bird's Eye Maple.

post-1500-1156643220_thumb.jpg

post-1500-1156643632_thumb.jpg

you all have some great set ups. I found that as long as there is a permanent place to keep all of your supplies, tools, and not having to move everything each time you want to tie, its much more enjoyable. Right now the desk that I do have, is an old sewing table. It's about 2 and 1/2 ft wide, bout 10in deep, and around 4ft tall. It has drawers on both ends, so it limits me on putting a solid piece of wood on the top of it to extend it with another table possibly. I'm considering getting a few of those multi drawer organisers, like from walmart or office depot, setting up for the legs, then attaching boards across the tops of em, so it sits at a 90' angle at the corner of the room. Then I have two surfaces to work off of, and plenty of storage as well. Being its in the corner it wouldnt take much room at all either.

post-4936-1156718097_thumb.jpgthis here is a photo from a fellow tyer here in the network, of his desk. I forgot his name, Please forgive me sir, but I was just in awe when I saw it. This is by far one of the better desks that I have seen that is made by a fellow tyer, and not a commercial desk. Get out the drool cups guys...it's a nice one!!

cape, that's more or less what I'm looking to do right there. And I love the monitors around the desk. It would make it so easy to browse patterns, and look up info from the web. And right there at the desk when your tying too!! Gotta say that Im jealous. All these desks that I'm seeing here, now I dont know how Im gonna set mine up for sure now. Hopefully I can take some ideas from the desks you guys got, and tie em together somehow.

steeldrifter -- you were supposed to show us a picture of your fly tying bench... not the local fly tying shop.

my local shop has less than that. its not even a shop, its some guys basement. sadly its the only shop within 4 or 5 hours of me

Mine's a little messy! I have plenty when it is clean. TV is to the left and the computer is behind!

IPB Image

BFR

Mine is real plain and simple, just a computer table from IKEA with out the pull out keybord thingy. I love it. It has tons of open flat space for me to spread all my junk out. I just have my vise, a Renzetti tool caddy and a fly box to stick the ones I like in.

lapboard... i tie in the living room on the loveseat. throw my supplies on one side of the arm rest and me, tools, and vise on the other side. not many supplies since i just started last christmas so they fit well where they are and its a nice view of the tv from there.

Yup I love mine. Easy to find materials and lots of surface area which is a huge plus. It wasn't always like this though. I tied for a good number of years on a 20" x 16" fold up snack TV tray. Then one year I just got sick of it and decided to make a dedicated area for tying.

IPB Image

Steeldrifter, looks great, but how do you keep the bugs out? I can't leave my stuff out like that. In no time it gets infested with moth larva and the little bastards eat right through those plastic bags! I had them so bad one time I could literally hear them munching when I sat down to tie. Not Kidding! Twice I had to microwave & quarinteen everything with a Vapona pest strip in rubbermaid containers. Now I Keep everything in drawers with mothballs. What do you do to keep them out when it's all hanging on the wall like that?

Just curious????

John

I keep bouncing around from the dining room table to my computer desk to the couch. One of these days I'll set up a dedicated tying surface, but not yet!

-- Bill

Mine is bad so messy now I cant even tie there I just grab materials and run back up stairs and tie at the table

Mine is bad so messy now I cant even tie there I just grab materials and run back up stairs and tie at the table or couch

post-2608-1158499782_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1158499802_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1158499820_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1158499954_thumb.jpg

Maybe in December Ill get a chance to clean it up after IM done with salmon season now it is 100 times more trashed than those pics