Fly Tying
Nostrildamus

Favourite Brook Trout Fly

Hey all, I'm new to tying and I'm heading out after Brookies tomorrow for the first time. I'm wondering what your favourite Brook Trout fly is and how you fish it. Is there anything specific that I should include in any of my flies to heighten the chances of success?

For brookies I am partial to using post wing parachute stlye dries of whatever happens to be reasonably close to hatching, though that is for little guys. What sort of water, or where, will you be fishing?

I will be fishing a lake in the Kamloops area of British Columbia where the brookies grow large. The lake has a marl bottom and very clear alkaline water. It seems as though everyone I talk to leans more towards nymphs or attractors rather than dry flies. The are a great number of caddis flies and Damsels up there which the rainbows love so I was thinking maybe of trying a caddis imitation int he order of a Carey Special or a simple Damsel. I've also read (but not heard through word of mouth) good things about leeches and scuds when it comes to hooking up with Brook Trout. As you can see it is all over the board. It seems as varied as the fly choice for Rainbows.

Thus far I'll be taking:

A bunch of scuds

A bunch of Damsels

A bunch of Carey Specials

And a schwack of leeches/Wooly Buggers.

I'm well armed but I'd like to know what has worked for people in the past. I know each lake is different but is there one pattern which has stood out as a "go-to" fly for anyone?

Lake Brookies are a wholly different animal from the stream fish I usually go for when I head north. The few times I did go after brookies in lakes I had my best luck on whitish bead head scud patterns with an opal Flashabou back, and Jim Andrix Lil' Bugger ( a pattern similar to woolies but using rabbit fur and ostrich on a smaller hook that you can see on the Mad River Outfittrs site).

Sounds good guys, thanks for the help. With any luck I'll run into some locals that will be willing to divulge a specific fly to use in a specific spot...

... yeah, right!

Tight lines.

here are a couple patterns you might want to give a try, a copper john, braise, damsel leech, and a black blood sucking leech with a red glass bead head. You might want to try some streamers as well, light and dark olive barrs bouface, mickeyfinns, grey ghosts, muddlers. If you see top action try stimulators, wulfs, and skating caddis patterns.

I'll second the mickey finn's and the post parachutes.....I've got a box full of 18-22 parachutes that I will not fish without! If rainbows inhabit the same water, you might try a streamer that imitates a baby 'bow.....I don't know many trout that would turn down an easy meal like that!

For here in the Northeast:

dry flies: green-bodied Joe's Hopper, Elk Hair Caddis

streamer: Black Ghost

Have fun!

--Bill